 CAD / Development / 507
Re: Java LDraw/LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:05:13 GMT

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:40:25 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

Typically, parts will be missing from a model either because (a) the
parts aren't made yet (and it's actually problem #2) or the part was
renumbered after the model was created, and it wasn't possible to leave
a forwarding reference in the parts database (in this case, there should
be a bogus part in the model, using the same number).

What happens when a part is move, with a moved_to file, and a model is
loaded and edited? Does the editor save the _new_ part number, or the
old? If you have it automatically saving the _new_ part number, you
could make a ~moved_to file for some time, then next update, you can
replace the ~moved_to with a new part.

Ideally, you would run each of your models files through this after
every parts update. Actually, either a batch script or a special
program that does this might be better. If you get this set up, you
might even have an update consistying of two parts: the first moves
all old parts, and adds ~moved_to's, then repairs all .dat's. The
second replaces the ~moved_to's with the new parts.

I don't know if I'm making much sense here. I do know it would
probably be a difficult thing to set up, so I'll shut up now :)

Jasper