 CAD / Development / 537
Re: Java LDraw/LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:09:19 GMT

Talk is cheep.

I spent the last couple of days trying to pound out a quick Java Ldraw
program.
Check out the results:

http://members.xoom.com/izzy99/jldraw/jldraw_test.html

Using as an Applet is way too slow. Its best to download jre
and try it with that:
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/jre/index.html

Note that this is terribly buggy right now and I've only really had a chance
use it on my computer here.

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
[followups set to lugnet.cad.dev]

In lugnet.cad, Steve Anderson wrote:
Has anyone considered tackling LDraw/LDLite as a Java Applet, maybe with
controls for rotation?  [...]

Steve!  Whoa, heavy....like...WAY COOL IDEA!!!!!

How come nobody's ever suggested this yet?  (Or have they?)

I mean, forget all about making a Mac clone of LDraw or any other specific
platform -- even Linux -- why not write it all as a standalone app in Java?
Java is a good enough language to write serious applications in.  As a
byproduct, if it were architected properly, the app (or portions of it) • would
be separable and also run on a Java-enabled web browser.

If cross-platform happiness isn't yet a 100% reality with Java, surely it
would be by the time the project were complete...?

I've seen more sucky Java applets on the web than I care to remember, but • it
*is* possible to write excellent cross-platform apps in Java (they're just
exceptional).

--Todd