 CAD / Development / 399
Re: Java LDraw/LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:28:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Greg Williams wrote:
[...] or the parts would have to be downloaded on the fly over
the network.

I've though a bit about this -- I think I would prefer uncompressed
individual files, as this would make parts updates easier on the server
end.  Just copy the /P and /PARTS dirs to the Web server.  (1)

<DEVILS_ADVOCATE>
However, the JDK now has built-in support for ZIP files, so why not put the
entire parts library into a ZIP file, and cache a local copy if an app?
</DEVILS_ADVOCATE>

Why not serve both compressed and uncompressed versions?

[...]
Greg, it's good to see you again.  :-,

Amen to that!  Say, Greg, how's about posting the URL of your Blacktron Galaxy
Explorer over in the .build group?  Probably a lot of new-timers there who
haven't seen it yet.

1.  Greg has an idea.  And the applet could be linked to the message in
cad.dat.  Todd what do you think about something like
http://www.lugnet.com/ldraw.cgi?/parts/3039.DAT ?

Not a problem.  I'd probably nix the CGI on something like that, though, and
serve static .dat files for parts.  (Apache can to be told to serve static
.dat files as application/x-ldraw just as easily as CGI scripts can send DAT
content that way, but CGI scripts incur the additional overhead of starting up
a command interpreter).

Another option would be to run a separate HTTP daemon dedicated to serving
parts on a different port (URLs would look like <http://www.lugnet.com:x/y>
where x and y would be the port and part numbers, respectively).  This would
be easy to set up and would be extremely fast, but would probably still offer
no particular gain over Apache because commonly used parts would already be in
the OS filesystem cache if Apache was serving them.

Your typical model might
make 1500 hits or so before it's done, though, which is another argument for
ZIP compression.

Yeah, it could all be done without much trouble.  Apache can very easily be
configured to serve anything as anything and it's wicked fast and there's lots
of disk space and bandwidth available.  Compression would really be nice for
speeding delivery, especially if we're talking 4x to 10x.

--Todd