 Off-Topic / Fun / 976
Re: Java LDraw/LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:41:02 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
I guess I'll be learning Java RSN.  Anyone have a preference on what
development tools to use?  More important, any pointers to good learning
tools (ie, books)?

Books:  I would recommend Peter van der Linden's "Just Java", and / or
(forget the author) "Core Java", as these are excellent tutorials with good
code.  (1)  The O'Reilly book "Java Swing" is a very good introduction to
the GUI libraries, but for what LDraw will need, the other two books should
do just fine.

Dev Tools:  I personally use Sun's JDK for anything serious.  Go with
version 1.2.  For debugging, right now I'm using (and appreciating) Symantec
Visual Cafe, but I understand that IBM's Visual Age for Java is much
better.  Avoid MS in this case; they simply have no clue.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Plus, my GNU Pilot SDK FAQ is on the "Just Java" CD.  :-,

"The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder"
-- British scientist J. B. S. Haldane (1892-1964)