 CAD / Development / 291
Re: Java LDraw/LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:26:16 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...

Steve!  Whoa, heavy....like...WAY COOL IDEA!!!!!

Why thank you =)

I mean, forget all about making a Mac clone of LDraw or any other specific
platform -- even Linux -- why not write it all as a standalone app in Java?

Indeed - I've got a guitar tabulature editor written entirely in Java and it
runs as happily on a Win32 box as my friend's Linux box and apparently
another friend's Mac. Rumour has it that WinCE has Java support (can anyone
confirm that?) and that leaves maybe about 0.5% of computers being used that
hasn't. (Old Amigas and STs!)

Java is a good enough language to write serious applications in.  As a
byproduct, if it were architected properly, the app (or portions of it) • would
be separable and also run on a Java-enabled web browser.

What I figured was an applet run in a browser, so we could point our
browsers to the lugnet.cad.dat newsgroup with the HTML interface and this
applet would kick in, and we could peer lovingly at the latest microfig
battle cruiser... =)

If cross-platform happiness isn't yet a 100% reality with Java, surely it
would be by the time the project were complete...?

I've seen more sucky Java applets on the web than I care to remember, but • it
*is* possible to write excellent cross-platform apps in Java (they're just
exceptional).

And as we all know already, Lugnet is exceptional too - would that make it
exceptional squared if it worked? =)

All we need is someone with a good knowledge of Java now...

Steve
Llegogogoch-
http://mis.fortunecity.com/lego/
Lego Street Preachers-