 CAD / Development / 333
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 02:43:48 GMT

Terry Keller writes:
The yellow dinghy in the vote is numbered 30086.  That is the imprinted number
for the lower portion only.  The top is 30087.  The aggregate number for both
is 4106548.  But that number is _only_ for the yellow version.
Any other color (like tan) would be different.

So what to do?
  Keep the imprinted number on the bottom as THE number?
  Use the 4106548 as THE number for all versions?
  Use the 4106548 for the yellow version, and add a tan one later?
  Give up and give it a 3-digit number and ignore all other numbers?

Hmmm.. well, we *could* have them all... use 30086 and 30087 as the two parts
of the dinghy... then have part 4106548 simply reference the two "subparts" and
have this "element model" hard-coded in yellow... anyone wanting to use a
different colored dinghy in a model will just have to use both sub parts...
no different than using the two halves of a hinge in my opinion...
i'm all AGAINST hard-coding of colors in most instances... but the way i see
it, this resolution would be the closest to TLG accuracy since we would have
part numbers that follow the Lego catalog... after all, they must reference
this boat (or its parts) with all 3 numbers... then when a different color one
comes out, they'll assign it a new aggregate...

i would rather that every element in our catalog be neutral in color (except
for patterns on pieces)... but i do see that this is going to make it
impossible for us to keep "colorless" elements as time goes on since TLG is
using part numbers tied to specific colors this way.