 CAD / Development / 487
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 15:14:54 GMT

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 01:55:25 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@msn.com> wrote:

If I'm converting a physical model to Ldraw, its nice to be able to look at
part, find its molded number, then add that number to my model.

You've just hit on my pet peeve with the approach of using the most
official numbers for LDraw parts -- often, the most official number is
*not* the one you find stamped on the part.  This will be true if:

- You are looking at a multi-part part, such as a hinge or the dinghy o
r the 2x2x11 column.
- The 4-digit number of an older part has been replaced with a newer
five-digit number.  I've had sets containing some parts with the old
number, some with the new.

At least, the old (or new) number should be referenced on a 0 KEYWORDS
tag.

Steve