 CAD / Development / 599
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:33:02 GMT

Steve Bliss writes:
I'm only alright with hard-coded colors, IF they are somehow marked as
not being primary parts.  I would not want them all listed in as being
available for building, just because it would eventually lead to
parts-overload.  You'd get about a dozen differently colored 1x2 bricks
in a parts-catalog, and what would be the point of that (for modeling)?
Steve

in all honesty, all i use LDraw for... to document my creations so that i have
a record before i tear them apart... the only reason i model specific elements
for the catalog is because i want/need them to document a RL model (well,
sometimes it's just the challenge of something really complicated)...
i guess i'm just trying to play devil's advocate to all the TLG fanatics out
there...
perhaps that's the decision we should make.. do we *care* about our catalog
being a reference to TLG parts??? (i beleive we should use TLG numbers,
but i mean all the different *versions* of the same old element) because you're
correct.. we only need ONE 1x2 brick... color 16... and for that matter i don't
think we need ANY separated dinghy parts... use the number viewable from the
outside, color 16, BAM!, we're done... but there are zealouts in our midst that
want to know every sub-part, mold number, etc etc... if we're here for CAD,
then so be it.. works for me... just get all of the elements done, use a basic
number (preferrably one viewable on the element itself) and set its color to
16... i don't care if there never WAS a chrome 6573... i want it in my LDraw
virtual model.. i never bought a set that gave me 3823 in ANY color... but that
shouldn't preclude me from accessing it in virtual lego.. and in ANY color i
wish...

see, i can play both sides... personally i say ditch all the aggregates, etc
etc.. forget that such and such element only came in chrome, etc etc... just
give me the meshes and let me choose any color i want when i LEdit the thing...