 CAD / Development / 598
Re: Technic Axles - go rounded?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:04:21 GMT

Steve Bliss writes:
Introducing this much details will make the parts render much slower,
and will make them a pain to use in LEdit, I'm sure.  So if these new
axles get introduced, we may need some kind of system to replace them
with ordinary axles in LEdit, much like the system which replaces the
studs with lines.

So maybe we should drop the idea of rounding the axle ends.  But
shortening them to more appropriate lengths would be worthwhile.

Steve

i disagree.. i say go for it... create the end caps (i thought about doing
this myself when the crankshaft discussion came up) and let's have a
primitive axle cross section without end faces...
then i say we integrate the primitive+end caps versions as an update to
existing pre-defined axle lengths (4591,3705, etc etc)... anyone not wanting
that level of detail can simply use the primitive axle *with* end caps and
scale it to the desired length... but i say the official parts take on the
rounded ends... it won't add *that* much to rendering time... hell, i was
planning to create the rounds with maybe 2 added face steps... that adds what..
like (3x2)x4 (24 total) faces??? that isn't that big of a deal.. and as long as
there is a lesser-detailed alternative i don't see the negative repercussions
outweighing the benefit of accuracy