 CAD / Development / 336
Re: DAT voting page up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 03:33:20 GMT

jonathan wilson wrote in message ...
regarding the problem with the bottom doesn't the cnayon plate need to be • done
the same way?

You know, I've never looked at the bottom since you usually can't do
anything with the bottom of a baseplate.  Matter of fact I don't think I've
ever looked at any of the real ones I have other than the very first one I
ever saw.  Hmm.....

castle crystal ball: what is wrong with this part. isn't simply a tile 2 x • 2
size base with a sphere on the top?

Here I can't say, but to guess ( since I don't have a real one myself ).
I'd say it may have to do with how the two are joined.  Usually contact with
a sphere ideally has just a few points, but in real life this makes for a
very weak joint, so, normally the joint is somewhat larger in radial size.
This joint will be even larger than would normally be needed for strength
because to get the part to seperate from the mould sharp angles and locking
depressions need to be eliminated.  That is, unless the mould line coincides
with these features.  In which case you can have sharper angles.  Since ABS
and styrene as a family is very intolerant of moisture in many forms a
little fudging also goes into the mould design, but I digress.

What you need here is a little help from those who have the part in "hand".
A little input, guys and gals, as to what is wrong with the element and how
it might be repaired and less harping about what methods were use to make
it.

Roy