 CAD / Development / 346
Re: DAT voting page up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:05:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, wilsonj@xoommail.com (jonathan wilson) writes:
here is what i will do to my non-patterned parts.
bar 7 x 3 with double clips: no changes

(Isn't it quadruple clips?)

[...]
castle crystal ball: what is wrong with this part. isn't simply a tile 2 x 2
size base with a sphere on the top?

Nope, it's not.  Nope nope nope.

Seriously, Jonathan, go buy some LEGO.  Seriously.  Or ask someone to snail
mail you a crystal ball for heaven's sake.

You shouldn't have to ask questions like this.  Questions like this waste
people's time.  And you're wasting your talent by producing parts that won't
get accepted.

The 2x2x2 crystal ball is not like a tile because tiles have little finger
grooves going all around the bottom edge, and the crystal ball does not.  The
bottom of the crystal ball is more like a 2x2 round plate at the bottom.

Above the plate area and below the sphere, there is a torus ring approximately
1/3 plate height in diameter (the toroidal cross-section diameter, not the
circumferential diameter).  The sphere rests on this torus.

The sphere does not have a stud-connecting tube at the top on the inside but
does have a fairly elegant 8-sided-star pattern carved into the top inside --
it's a 16-facet star, with each point of the star using 2 facets.  The star in
then surrounded by a circle and has a circle also in its center.

If these details are left out, the piece will look wrong.

The only way to get the measurements right is to have an actual copy of the
piece in front of you.

[...]
minifig tool signal holder: will pinch the join between the handle and the face
from the spear as it is the same join.
[...]

<FLAME>

Jonathan, am I understanding your statement correctly?!?  When you say "pinch"
do you mean borrow/crib from?  If so, then WoGGE leads you to believe that the
join between the handle and the face of the signal holder element is the same
join as that used in the spear element?

Go buy some LEGO -- PLLEEEEEASSEEE!!!  Arrgh!

The tapered join on the spear is *much* shorter than the tapered join on the
signal holder.  True, they are both joins of standard round rods to flat-faced
sections, but the length of the join on the signal holder is somewhere between
2.5x to 3x the length of the join on the spear.

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted what you meant, but it really sounds to me
like you're doing this with a slipshod attitude.  :-p

</FLAME>

--Todd