 CAD / Development / 379
Re: DAT voting page up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:22:55 GMT

Jeff Boen writes:
Roy Earls writes:
Todd Lehman wrote in message ...

The 2x2x2 crystal ball is not like a tile because tiles have little finger
grooves going all around the bottom edge, and the crystal ball does not.

Old version tiles didn't have these grooves and LDraw, to my knowledge,
doesn't model it because of precision.  Case in point ...

hmmm... i never noticed that before.. that the LDraw model of 3068 (as
well as other tiles) doesn't have the fingernail groove around the edge...
although i say that's BS.. in my opinion (looking at a couple stacked here on
the desk, up against various plates, etc) it looks like that edge is 1LDU in
height/depth.. that could be edited into the part in like 10 minutes.. why
AREN'T we using them??? there's no "precision" issue that i see... hmmm... i
think i'll throw an edited version terry's way and see what he thinks... never
too late to update...

I recently offered to do just this and apply it to the existing decorated tiles
(more than 10 minutes work to do it properly, IMHO),

http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dev:143

BUT since I do not own all the decorated tiles myself I need guidance on which
ones use the tile with the fingernail groove and which don't (and potentially
which exist in both forms).

Do all the sizes of tiles exhibit this feature? And what other parts - I know
the 1 x 2 grille does. Now, I've just spent the last 10 minutes writing this
when I could have corrected them all :-)

The offer still stands - just, although I'm currently wondering why I spend
time trying to make my parts as realistic as possible.

Chris Dee