 CAD / Development / 385
Re: DAT voting page up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:58:46 GMT

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:04:34 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@msn.com> wrote:

I think this part without the underside would be a candidate for a "needs
work" tag.  It's pretty hard to imagine using this in a way that would expose
the underside.

I disagree with the first sentence (as I've said).  I don't have this
part, so I can't give any detailed feedback on the accuracy of the
part-file; I must stick to generalities.

An easy way to fix this part (enough to earn the coveted 'needs work'
appendage) is to take the upper surfaces, copy them, and move them down
4 LDU.

This fix will (most likely) leave visible artifacts in the normal view,
because the angled sides will be quite thin.  To fix this problem
requires relocating the points on the lower-surfaces to make the angled
sides thicker.  Which is a lot more work.

I would also point out that the side and top edges of this part are quite
rounded, not sharp edges.  Since this curve takes up 10 ldu of space, it
should really be modeled.  This would be a difficult fix, though.

Part 6024 is a raised baseplate, and is modeled with sharp edges.  I
agree it would have been better done with rounded edges, and they aren't
that hard to do -- the 1/4 cylinder primitive is used, with skewing, to
make the curved edge.  Anyway, because of the precedent, and the fact
that it isn't a no-brainer fix, the edge-issue wouldn't be reason to add
a 'needs work'.

Steve