 CAD / Development / 438
437  |  439
Subject:
Soccer ball name
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:41:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, leonardo@centroin.com.br (Leonardo Zide) writes:
If we follow the standards set by James and use australian english,
shouldn't we change the description ? I don't think the word "soccer" is
used there.

I don't know for sure if "soccer" is used in Australia or not, but in either
case, isn't "soccer" guaranteed not to be ambiguous, unlike "football" or
"fussball"?

In Brasil, do you say "football" or "soccer"?  If you don't say "soccer," what
comes to mind when you hear the word "soccer"?

My $.02 is that it makes sense to honour regional spelling differences like
colour/color, tyre/tire, waggon/wagon, etc. but in cases where there are two
separate words, either using both alternatives separated by a slash or using
the one alternative that is guaranteed to be unambiguous, if possible.

--Todd