 CAD / Development / 466
Re: DAT voting page up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:15:32 GMT

I've never authored lego parts for ldraw, but I did for pov-ray (at the time
I was using Anton Raves library which is very good (a lot more detailed than
ldraw, I haven't tried l3P so I don't know the quality of the output) but it
was lacking some pieces I needed (to be fair I wanted to author pieces to
work with pov which I enjoyed a lot).  All this to say that I definitely
recommand the use of a caliper.  BTW if anybody can check my web page and
tell me what they think of the few renderings I've made I'd be glad (keep in
mind it was pure pov I didn't know ldraw existed at the time).
Here is my web page address:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/2404/lego.htm

You should measure with a ruler or with lego parts (or for detailed parts
people have resorted to calipers).  With a plate and a brick, you can make
pretty accurate measurements based on wall thickness (4 ldu), plate • thickness
(8 ldu), distance from edge to stud center (10 ldu), stud diameter (12 • ldu),
distance from stud to stud (20 ldu).