 CAD / Development / 457
Re: Soccer ball name
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:58:58 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

I don't know for sure if "soccer" is used in Australia or not, but in either
case, isn't "soccer" guaranteed not to be ambiguous, unlike "football" or
"fussball"?

In Brasil, do you say "football" or "soccer"?  If you don't say "soccer," what
comes to mind when you hear the word "soccer"?

  In the beginning of the century, some british came here and started
playing football. At that time it was common to use words from other
languages but as the time passed we changed those words to portuguese
and now we call it "futebol".

My $.02 is that it makes sense to honour regional spelling differences like
colour/color, tyre/tire, waggon/wagon, etc. but in cases where there are two
separate words, either using both alternatives separated by a slash or using
the one alternative that is guaranteed to be unambiguous, if possible.

  I thought that in Australia they would call football the same game as
in England and I was just trying to keep the standard set by James but
in this case I just wasted time because I was wrong.

Leonardo

PS: Todd, when I hit the "reply to all" button, Netscape sends a message
to you and another one to lugnet. Do you get 2 copies of the same
message ?