 CAD / Development / 380
Re: concave polys and LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:33:03 GMT

Lars C. Hassing writes:

It seems that LDraw first transforms the 4 vertices and then fills
the four-sided polygon or triangle (if one vertex is in the middle of
the others) now spanned between the transformed vertices. This also
takes care of bow-ties and non-coplanar quads!
The rule may be clear, but is the result desirable?

unfortunately because of our limitatiions here, i can't illustrate the
problem... but if you take a 4-pointed chevron-type shape... sort of like a "V"
and hand its points off to LDraw, it comes out as a triange... that's bad if
you need the "crotch" of the "V" to be seen through... so insead of a 4-vert
quad, i need to determine concavity and then just draw 2 adjoining triangles...
that part is easy, because my conversion routine is basically looking to "mate"
pairs of adjoined coplanar triangles and make them quads... so if it finds two
it can mate, but they create a concave poly, i just don't mate them and instead
draw them as their original separate triangles... the complicated part comes in
determining concavity... i found a math page that tells how to do it via a
matrix determinant (the same type of calc i used to determine coplanarism of
the two triangles in the first place)... so i think i can get it together...