 Space / 16262
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:57:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Portillo writes:
That's it, I can't take no more of this crap lego is releasing and calling
sets.

Just the point I wanted to get across for themes like LOM, Town Jr sets, and
(hushed tone) Galidor. These don't even deserve to be called lego, and
rightfully so. Where has an *actual* castle or space theme gone?

If these sets are so great why are they discontinued so soon and why
are they re-releasing old sets, the ones which were good.

Well, they do discontinue product lines a little too quick, and they could
bring in more potential sales if they would have left the ninja line going
for a time. Hell, that was one of the most successful lines I've ever seen
(not to mention it flew off store sheles faster than I could imagine, the
Ninja Knights set being on the top ten list of back orders at my local
Safeway.) Why doesn't lego go into a second production line of Ninja sets,
as I could imagine its success would be unprecedented.

Lego has never had
to follow fads. And as for lego interaction with the fans, have you ever
seen them partisipate in discussions such as these, where we really need
answers. Brad justus said technic is not dead. He did not back it up or say
if they are bringing out new sets or nothing. Technic is not dead could mean
that you can still get it second hand from ebay. Now I understand that

I hate fads as much as the next guy, and I learned my lesson when my younger
brother blew over two hundred dollars on Pokemon (god forbid). Yet it seems
as though lego it trying a pre-emptive follow into potential fads by
licensing onto every new series or new concept around. Hell, I wouldn't be
surprised if they made Jimmy Neutron sets (which is a complete rip off of
dexters lab)

But I guess lego figures they have to abandon their former goals to some
xtend and concentrate on the new generation of kids. It's like some sort of
cliche' or something that all kids have poor attention spans and are
complete vidoe game addicts, and I have had enough of this. If they would
only try to market intelligable products to them with alternate models and a
quirky storyline, I think that would be enough to get them hooked. Too many
people go about the same idealogy that kids get bored too quickly. Well,
that may be true with an action figure that has a detachable mask and a
swinging sword, or one that loses its arms, but I think marketing towards
them with the possibility of expandability and alternate function is enough
to snag some potential customers. I'm thinking they should at least give
some thought as to going
about untapped product markets such as a Historical Recreations series, in
which you could make models of the Seven Wonders of the world, Famous
european castles, middle eastern palaces or even early 20th century
cityscapes. Better than that, include an extra series of Military origined
sets that could include recreation kits of famous aircraft and naval
carriers. I'm sure, marketed on retail, that these would be hits, no doubt.

As for lego taking discussion, yeah, I think it's great that they get to
meet with the fans and discuss things at brickfest, but they rarely ever
answer the most important questions without some level of mystery or
intrigue involved (which invokes some much further thought into the
subject). Unfortunately, I doubt they will even pay as much as a blink to
this discussion, and that's probably because they are scared or fear
consequence of asking those questions.

So, if your theory on hoe Brad defines 'not dead' is correct, that means
he's saying every other line is not dead, since It can be bought on
secondhand. Sneaky...

AFOL's are a small segment of the lego market but we live with kids, we were
kids when lego was at its peak. What we wanted and received from lego as
kids is what kids want but are not getting from lego today. Somone should
wake up at lego.

Hmmm...has a ring to it, and I definitely think lego should launch an
emergency market plan to abort and distance themselves from anything
juniorized, completely pointless or licensed. It's like they're selling
their soul into other firms just so they can charge a few more dollars
and put the star wars logo on their package. I long to see the day when lego
quells this nonsense, and gets nack to an original line of products. At
least that would give some dignity into the line again.(not that there isn't
on such great sets as Sopwith camel, legends or sculptures, but those were
sure fire winners in the first place). Sell those in the stores and watch
what happens.
Those would definitely (IMO) be million sellers.

<<_Matt Hein_>>

My perpetual thoughts on this subject...

check it: http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/~1112