 General / 38391
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 03:52:22 GMT

Trimming the followups since it really doesn't belong in the theme groups.

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.general, a bunch of people write:

We seem to be at odds on everything...

Someone should start a petition to lego to bring back the once
vibrant diversity to its product line. Your voice counts!

Let me know where to sign up

First, if you're talking online petitions, they don't work.  blah
blah blah blah blah blah....

I find this editing of my post to be highly offensive, and I'd appreciate it
very much if you'd refrain from doing this in the future.

Perhaps an petition on Lugnet. I don't get this. It seems even if I'm
just the smallest bit vague, people should get what I'm talking about.
Lego *DOES* read the .dearlego column, so a chain of posts and support for
diversified chain of products might turn a few heads.

Still wouldn't work.  There aren't enough of us.  If you'd read the section of
my post you rudely replaced with "blah blah blah", you'd see why.  The simple
fact is, we don't really affect Lego's sales numbers.  The reason we've been
getting some of what we ask for is because it sells well to children.  Don't
get me wrong, I'm all for asking Lego for specific new stuff, like 1x1 and 1x3
bricks, but I don't see the point in asking for oft-asked things that will
never happen.  Like asking Lego to do away with profitable items.

Also, can someone plese explain to me how making a smaller range of products is
"diversification"?

Don't be so pessimistic about it, sheesh.

I'm not being pessimistic; I'm being realistic.

Second, since Bionicle is making them so much money, asking them to stop is
like asking oil companies to stop production of gasoline and go back to
making kerosene.  I'll say it again, if you don't like it, you don't have to
buy it. There are *plenty* of other sets with good parts for pretty much any
theme you want to build.

Maybe so, but I wouldn't compare it to that, since Oil companies are
such a larger industry than ABS molding.

You missed my point.  Business size is irrelevant; its about stopping
production on something that is very profitable and going back to something
that is less profitable.  For Lego, that is Bionicle.

In fact, most action figure sales (besides bionicle), are geared towards
either comic book heroes or anime/ RPG characters.

Uh, and TV shows.  Which is what Galidor is based on.  Oh, and Bionicle has a
comic book to go along with it.

Just go to a comic book shop, stack a Galidor figure on the shelf an watch
what happens. Chances are, It will end up on the back alley or
at your local bargain bin.

Again, I'd wager that is due to the Galidor show being drek, not the toy being
crap.  I'd rather have Galidor than any of the action figures I grew up with.

You know, that's probably an answer we'll never know, and I
just can't grasp the principle that Lego would bother with the
whole action figure branch, when in fact, they can stick to tradition
and bring us cool models to display on our shelves and rip apart
ro customize. There is little to none in the imagination department
with bionicle, unless you're a modern picasso who likes to make
ostnsibly disgusting models with spare parts. Keep to the bricks,
Lego.

So you can't grasp the principle of diversification to increase profits?  Brad
mentioned they did this because back in the late 90s, they reached saturation
of the market.  They were selling in all available markets (additional markets
was what was cause profit increases in the 80s and 90s, he said), but the
levels of buying weren't increasing.  Therefore, they needed to sell to
additional markets, hence Mindstorms, the RC car, Bionicle, and some other
things.

Um, perhaps they wanted to try something new?  Expand into new markets?  Most
companies try to do so, since it is a smart move; if it works, it means
increased revenue.

Yeah, but are you trying to defend Galidor to score some moral points
or something?

I'm not defending it, per se.  Hell, I don't like the line.  I just strongly
disagree with sentiments like it is "the new direction of Lego" and such.

I mean, take a look at it compared to lego sets like
sopwith camel or the red baron plane, and ask yourself which you
would rather have.

Of course I'd rather have those than Galidor.  That's because I'm not the
target audience of Galidor; I like construction toys rather than action
figures.  However, there are many kids who like to play with them, and
collectors who like to collect them; which is why I find it a perfectly valid
product line.  What people need to realize is that Lego is trying to move away
from *just* making dedicated cosntruction toys to increase profits.  Stick with
what you like and ignore the rest (or be like me: ignore all the models, and
just pay attention to the parts ^_^).

To tell you the truth, concentrating on one specialty product like model sets
will in the end, produce more streamlined and accurate models. (I mean, look
at Guarded Inn, for instance.)

Which is nice to us, but it may not necessarily sell.  High quality models have
their place, which is why we have the UCS models and the Sculpture sets.
However, lower quality building sets have their place, too, which is why Jack
Stone exists.

I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful to anyone, but GALIDOR isn't even
made from normal LEGOs!  What good are they?!

I most wholeheartedly agree. :)

That's not really the point.  They're not designed as Lego System toys;
they're action figures.  They do have technic pegs, though, so ARE usable
with other Lego products.  If you don't like them, you're not the target
audience.  Let those that do like them enjoy 'em, I say.

Well, to an extent, I do agree wth Sean on the Galidor issue. Taking
a look into the lego summer catalog, I was appalled to see this
excuse for lego adorning the front page.

"Excuse for Lego"?  Lego is the company, not the brick.  Thus, anything Lego
makes can be called Lego.

I even took the liberty to ask several kids that lived about the block who had
purchased galidor (some of my sisters friends) on whether they liked them or
not. Guess what? The overall response was that galidor sucked, am I surprised?
Not really.

Did you ask why?  Was it related to the show?  They seem a lot more flexible
that action figures I had growing up.

"G Gundam is love!" - Sapphire28

?!

That's called a sig.  Its just a funny quote a friend of mine made shortly
before I posted.

Jeff

"G Gundam is love!" - Sapphire28