 General / 37935
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:27:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.general, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
Sure; Lego is being more market focused than they used to.

You mean too focused on the bandwagon approach...Lego thinks kids today
don't have the attention spans to build on the same level that people in
the past did because mostly today video games and tv are taking the place of
lego. So sure enough, they have to focus on unoriginality by purchasing
designs from other firms. How cheap...

Three things to remember:
1. Kids like toys that reflect culture, as well as fictional elements of
culture and subcultures (i.e. Star Wars).
2. Lego is a business that makes toys.
3. Lego makes toys that kids like.

BTW, if 2 isn't accomplished while making a profit, forget the continuation
of 3.

I'd like to see somebody come up with instructions for at least 3 new and
different themes, 5 new and complete sets for each new theme, each with
varying amounts of parts, and 1 new Lego building system every year for the
next ten years. And to top it off, have those sets fly off the shelves.
Think I'm asking too much? That's what Lego very nearly does, and it takes a
whole corporation to pull it off.

Most people I know
perfer doing things the old fashioned way by walking into a store, handing
money to the nice clerk, and walking away with some lego. In fact, about 90
percent of the people I know do that very thing. Maybe that's the target
market lego is missing.

Wake up and smell the Bionicles. It's a way of doing business. Most people
can change, and do change. And they haven't missed it. Word of mouth is
still the best way, and since you're talking about buying hard to find Lego
online here, you're advertising for Lego's online shop whether you know it
or not.

Why not?  Expanding the types of products a company makes is diversification.

No, It's coining in on meaningless fads that will be gone tomorrow. Sure,
it is diversification, but in the wrong sense.

Lego designs new sets every year .. which, oddly enough, is how long
meaningless fads seem to last. Not really a coincidence.

Sticking to the brick, and
intelligent design will keep the lego line alive. That's why we've been
buying lego sets for so long.

"Stick to the brick" is a cute way of saying something that you might not
have clearly defined. If it's really only bricks that interest you, then
just buy tubs and buckets: nothing fancier than bricks; no plates, no
slopes, no baseplates. As for intelligent designs, that just depends on the
intelligence of the designer.

(I don't give a crap about lego direct!

I guess you really don't want Lego parts *that* badly then.

Well, I'm sorry for you because as an AFOL and a castle builder, Lego Direct
and their bulk packs are probably the BEST thing that has happened to my
collection, ever!

If I were a castlehead, I'd certainly buy tons of neutral colored bricks.
But I'm a spacehead, and should get them anyway.

Well, good for you! I would rather buy things the old fashioned way, thank you
very much.

** Lego epiphany #1: it's all about the parts.
** Lego epiphany #2: great sets may have great designs, but foremostly they
have great parts.

Don't misquote me.

I won't. But get the parts however legally you can.

Thanks for reading. My tone was edged, but sincere.

-Tom McD.
when replying, get new Sugar-Frosted Spamcake
Flake-O-Pop-Charm-Square-Crunchie-Poof-Chewy-Bits. They're ssssssssssswell!