 General / 37989
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 03:02:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Rick Hallman writes:
doesn't mean it's bad.

about untapped product markets such as a Historical Recreations series, in
which you could make models of the Seven Wonders of the world, Famous
european castles, middle eastern palaces or even early 20th century
cityscapes. Better than that, include an extra series of Military origined
sets that could include recreation kits of famous aircraft and naval
carriers. I'm sure, marketed on retail, that these would be hits, no doubt.

Lego has said they won't do war toys, if i remember right. And what fun is a
"Historical Recreation"? Kids want Good guys vs bad guys. Not the Leaning
Tower of Pisa. That is why you will see countless cartoon shows about Buzz
Lightyear vs Emp. Zerg, or Power rangers, or something. Things that aren't
fun don't sell. I can see only the Historical line if they moved from "Toy"
into the "Model" catagory.

I strongly disagree. Historical themes are of great interest to kids,
especially imaginative ones that would be interested in Lego bricks in the
first place. Furthermore, you can have one civilization or group versus
another without lowering it to a good/evil dichotomy. In fact, not doing so
cultivates creativity. Look at classic castle with the crusaders and black
falcons and various later factions. There was no clear-cut good or evil in
that case, which also happens to be more realistic. How often is there
really a good or evil faction in any conflict? (Save for within the
propaganda of said factions and their allies).