 General / 37911
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 18:16:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:

So, taking a look at the product line (I haven't really been
doing much lego stuff lately, personal business) I noticed that
castle, space and all town sets were ostensibly absent from the
shelves. Heck, even star wars and HP sets were hard to find
amidst the masses of bionicle and other unmentionable sets. (aaagh!)

Hi Matt,

I wholeheartedly sympathize with you.  There are no classic style town,
space, castle, or pirate sets to be found in the retail stores.  It is both
sad and annoying.

snip

I don't mean to be impatient or anything, but doesn't anyone
think it's time lego brought diversity back to their product lines?
I'm not talking about launching into meaningless action figures,
or robots named after polytheist island gods, over specialized
town houses that snap together in one minute, or more bandwagon
approaches to company names and licenses. I long to see the day again
that lego once again brings back a more diverse product line (I don't
give a crap about lego direct! Why can't they bring back items to
the shelf?) Does anyone notice that the lego product line began
to turn for the worse arounf 97-98, and just went downhill from
there? I saw some red flags with the Insectiods and LOM, but
this is just squat compared to (I don't want to say it...) GALIDOR.
(shudders at the thought of this...)

What is galidor? I'll tell you. It's probably the major part of
the problem, and might be a precursor to what we see next year...
It's the evil behind the trend, and anyone that watches it should
be banished to a swamp. (okay, maybe I went a bit to far, but I think
y'all know where I'm getting?)

I completely agree with you on this.  Why must Lego constantly strive to
produce the latest fad-driven, licensed toys?  I don't buy the argument that
kids of today wouldn't like the classic sets because they take too long to
build, they can't compete with computers, or (insert any other lame excuse
here).  In fact, my young cousins love my classic town sets, and have asked
me repeatedly if I can obtain similar kits for themselves.  They don't want
Jack Stone or Galidor.  I only wish Lego would see this for itself...

I'd like to see TLC produce several classic style 'system' sets from the
town, space, castle, and pirate themes and sell them via retail; I'm willing
to bet most kids WOULD like (and ultimately buy) a ton more of these type of
kits than Lego believes.

IMHO, with the diminishing product lines, I think a bunch of
people are never going to get the lego experience, and a lot
are probably going to slip into dark ages, including myself, if lego
doesn't do something soon.

Oh well, they probably don't care anyway...they'll just market some
more crappy action figures to cover the loss of one (unhappy) customer.
And please, lego, next time, just release a wave of legends sets, and
sell them through the retail market.

Sad to say, I think you're right.

Regards,

Michael

P.S.  My biggest question to Lego is how it can be so sure kids won't like
'System' related sets; if today's children aren't even given a chance to be
exposed to them, how can TLC honestly know whether they'll like the products
or not?  Kids don't have the option to like or dislike what they don't know
exists.

<<_Matt Hein_>>

Someone should start a petition to lego to bring back the once
vibrant diversity to its product line. Your voice counts!

http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/~1112/