 General / 38426
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 04:42:48 GMT

Well...bionicle was an action figure before it was a comic, what
I'm talking about was the whole manga/ anime thing as well. Most
people, when buying action figures, tend to buy either imports,
comic book and science fiction items (like SW, StarTrek of Babylon5),
(marvel, DC, or foreign comic figures)
or video game character figures, like Final Fantasy, etc.
On the other end of the spectrum, the action figure line is too
filled for lego to even get an edge, un less of course, you're
talking about Bionicle, but things like that eventually go out
of style. The others are here to stay, so get used to it.

Bionicle is making money for LEGO right now, and that is what important to a
company that lost quite a bit in the previous years.

Again, I'd wager that is due to the Galidor show being drek, not the toy • being
crap.  I'd rather have Galidor than any of the action figures I grew up • with.

You must be kidding. Well, If I wanted to get my younger cousin a door
stopper, I guess Galidor would cut it, but he would probably throw
it away and replace it with a brick. To tell you the truth though, I'm
sure I would rather have some vintage SW figures instead of Galidor,
due to their flexability, and of course, style. With a Galidor figure,
anyone passing your shelf would probably get disturbing thoughts
looking at some dude with a foot for an arm. Creepy.

So you can't grasp the principle of diversification to increase profits? • Brad
mentioned they did this because back in the late 90s, they reached • saturation
of the market.  They were selling in all available markets (additional • markets
was what was cause profit increases in the 80s and 90s, he said), but the
levels of buying weren't increasing.  Therefore, they needed to sell to
additional markets, hence Mindstorms, the RC car, Bionicle, and some • other
things.

Mindstorms is okay, and the RC stuff isn't half bad, in fact, I was
hoping lego could add some more robotics items and studio sets (camera
components) to their already filled accessories market. Some • diversification
is good, yes, but I don't think anyone will buy Galidor, and by the time
kids get tired of Bionicle (believe me, they will, because fads eventually
die), lego will learn their lesson and go back to the bricks. Then • hopefully,
they'll bring back castle, and everyone will be happy. (and you won't
have to listen to me rant. :)

Many of your assumptions are based on your action, interest, opinion
(A.I.O).  Even if you are part of LEGO's target, you are only one of many
potential customers.  Just like you, I hate browsing thru a whole bunch of
Galidor sets just to find something I want whenever I go to TRU.  But I also
accept the fact that I'm not in LEGO's biggest market.

Yes, I did ask why, so here's that vagueness factor again. Most of the • kids
have never heard of the show, and when asked about the whole flexability
thing, one of them said that combining the figures resulted in something
that "just didn't look right". Another response was "why bother to switch
parts when I can go out and buy a gundam wing model for half the price and • do
the same, thus resulting in a better looking custom?" and yet
another replied that "building with bricks is more fun than switching
parts. It gets boring fast." I must say, that was very perspective, so
I guess that's why nobody I personally know likes Galidor.

I've to agree here that LEGO might have made a mistake in trying to create a
new "hit" with Galidor.  What they are up against are many well established
anime series and video games.  And I've never heard or seen the show before
neither... LOL.