 General / 37914
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 19:34:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
You see, I took a trip to my local wal-mart the other day to
pick up some school supplies (and hopefully some extra sets
to stock up on), when I noticed that the lego aisle was much
smaller than I remembered.

Which is fairly normal for the summer as stores clear out stock in anticipation
for big pre-holiday orders.  Summer is generally the slowest time for toys as
there are no major gift-giving holidays.

Uh, pardon me for asking, but what rock have you been under for the past few
years?  None of this is particularly new for the retail summer Lego selection.

Well, this is particularly new for me, because I don't go a a TRU every
other weekend. Even during the holiday season, It's hard to find good sets
at a decent price. Heck, most of the newer lines are too juniorized or
overspecizliaed, and finding a 3033 tub is next near impossible.

Errr, here it is 2002, and Lego's contract with Lucas preventing them from
making dedicated futuristic space craft has been in effect for three years.  I
can't remember how many times this has been brought up, but a simple search
would have given you the details.

And what do you mean by "aeronautically correct" designs?  Aerodynamics are
irrelevant in space...

I'm talking about atmospheric space designs. Have you ever given thought about
how a craft would fly if it was to land in an alien atmosphere? A bunch of
rockets wouldn't just cut it, thats why wings are necessary. Take a look at
a lego box and see what the crafts are based on. Most of them are land and
air based travelers, and the star wars stuff could never sustain itself in a
proper atmosphere. There *is* relevancy in space aerodynamics...

Er, those sets didn't have the same size production run as such sets as Star
Wars or Harry Potter, and have been out of production for quite a while, so of
course they're hard to find...

I'm speaking as in sets that match that category. You don't think I would
honestly go to the store and look for exploriens?

Sure; Lego is being more market focused than they used to.

You mean too focused on the bandwagon approach...Lego thinks kids today
don't have the attention spans to build on the same level that people in
the past did because mostly today video games and tv are taking the place of
lego. So sure enough, they have to focus on unoriginality by purchasing
designs from other firms. How cheap...

Lego has quite a lot of diversity.  There is Star Wars, Harry Potter, Galidor,
Soccer sets, Jack Stone, Alpha Team, Technic, Racers, Studios, Life on Mars,
Dinosaurs, Trains, Bionicle, Creator sets, bulk packs, Legends, Classics, My
Own Creations, Sculptures, and maybe a few others I've missed.  Many of these
lines have double-digit numbers of sets.  And looking at what each of these
lines makes, I'd have to say Lego is more diverse than ever.

Hey, I beg to differ here. HP, Alpha Team, Studios, LOM, Bulk Packs, Legends,
MOC, Sculptures are NOT available in stores. If you missed what I said before,
Lego should offer these for sales in STORES, not online. Most people I know
perfer doing things the old fashioned way by walking into a store, handing
money to the nice clerk, and walking away with some lego. In fact, about 90
percent of the people I know do that very thing. Maybe that's the target
market lego is missing.

Why not?  Expanding the types of products a company makes is diversification.

No, It's coining in on meaningless fads that will be gone tomorrow. Sure,
it is diversification, but in the wrong sense. Sticking to the brick, and
intelligent design will keep the lego line alive. That's why we've been
buying lego sets for so long.

The older product line was LESS diverse.  There were only, what, 10 or so
different lines back in the '80s?

I'm speaking in sense about the product lines of the mid '90's, I never
mentioned the eighties anywhere in here, so I have no idea where you got
that from. Anyway, the mid 90's has just about every type of set imaginable
on the shelves, including town, castle, trains, space, aquazone, trains,
classic,
brick packs, minifigure boxes, additional baseplates and race sets, wild west
and pirates. (the ones you actually take a few minutes to build, not just
take out of the box) On top of this, a lot of the sets from this era were
non juniorized, had intelligent design and had plenty of diversity in the
good way.

(I don't give a crap about lego direct!

Well, I'm sorry for you because as an AFOL and a castle builder, Lego Direct
and their bulk packs are probably the BEST thing that has happened to my
collection, ever!

Well, good for you! I would rather buy things the old fashioned way, thank you
very much.

Why can't they bring back items to the shelf?)

See above why the shelves are currently somewhat empty.  Just wait a few months
and they'll be full od stuff again.

Yeah, I thought that last year, and am I happy yet? Take a guess.

I disagree, there are a lot of great sets out right now.  Harry Potter sets
have been astounding in their parts selections for castle building.  I'd love
to clear out a TRU of all of them!

Maybe so, butthe model design is very poor and not anything I would expect
from lego. And no, It is difficult to find these in stores because they're
nearly discontinued.

So?  You don't *have* to buy the sets you don't like.  I am pretty much
completely uninterested in Mindstorms, but you don't see me calling for Lego to
stop making them, do you?

No, I don't. But I don't think anyone in their right mind would, do you
think. Even though I have no interest, I *never* said lego should
discontinue the use of them, because guess what? They're already
discontinued! I just want
to see some space sets on the shelf again, that's all I ask!

*Sigh*  People said the exact same thing about Bionicle, Town Jr., and Jack
Stone.  And look at what we have now:  Good building and play sets like Star
Wars and Harry Potter; excellent play value in the soccer sets; play and build
value in the Studios sets; a more diverse Train selection than we've had since
the early '80s which great parts and excellent building; and finally, all the
various ther products from Lego Direct like sculptures and classics.  If that
isn't proof that Lego is going strong, I don't know what is.

That's because those people have good taste and should get a job at the lego
company so they can turn this situation around. I think just because people
that have an opinion that is in the minority (such as those that can't stand
bionicle), I don't think they should be kicked around by people like you that
think they're speaking for the whole comunity. And a lot of the good items
aren't available in stores, an the catalogue says "hard to find". Why would
they say that, unless they wanyt you to pay more money for it? Sheesh!

I find it quite sad that people would slip into a dark ages simply because not
every Lego product is appealing to them.

I didn't say that! Just because some products don't appeal to me doesn't
mean I'm going to slip into a dark age. Perhaps you misunderstood here, I'm
talking about those people that long for intelligent design, and those who
have yet to build with lego. Do you think they're going to want to throw
something together in a minute and crash it in their closet when they're
bored? I think
not!

If you think they don't care, you obviously have not been reading Lugnet in a
very long time.  Lego employees post here and go to events like BrickFest and
BricksWest and interact with us, the fans.  If they didn't care, they wouldn't
do that.

It's nice to see them interact with fans, but I think they should interact
with us in a sense that we could suggest intelligence to once again play a
major role in the function of a set. Here's an example, the pirate set Rocky
Reef. The function in that is awesome. Why don't you get one and compare it to
the new bionicle figure.

Then why don't they market through retail the old fashioned way? Do you
think I would rather walk to my local 7-11 to by a pack of candy, or order
some on the internet? You people need to go out and get some air...

<<_Matt Hein_>>

Don't misquote me.
check it: http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/~1112/