 General / 38400
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 05:45:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:

Specifically which Galidor? There's not a Galidor set that would compare
size-wise or price-wise with a Sopwith Camel, is there? And to make a fair
comparison you'd have to use sets/figures which are recommended for similar
age ranges too.

Well, that may be true, but to say if you wanted a construction
set with more expanded functionality, or an action figure that
could switch arms and legs with other action figures, and end
up looking somewhat freakish.  Which would you choose? The
expandability of the action figures is somewhat limited,
but the construction toy has infinite applications and and
has quite a lot more versatility and functionality. Thus,
I would pick the set, wouldn't you?

Did that make sense?

I don't think I properly understand your argument here - is it if they
produce only model sets they will produce better model sets? If it is, I'm
not sure why you included 'streamlined' in your statement.

Well, philosophically, yes. If let's say, you built one type of
model (military) but then you stopped working on that type and
alternated to a completely different form of model making, your prestige in
the other type (military) would suffer over time, as the opposite form
would increase. Unless, of course, you worked on both at the same
time, but then with would sort of equal out at a lower quality
standard then before, because less time was spent working on
the military, and more time on its opposite. It's like instead of
studying french for two hours and math for one, you study math for
two hours and french for one, and you'll see your scores in math increase,
while french stay the same or either increase on smaller intervals
than before or even decrease.

The Guarded Inn is neither streamlined nor accurate as far as I can tell.

Still, it has a very stablestructure, and as far as I can tell, few
other models come close in function. My definition of Streamlined,
is for a model to possess plenty of function, style and structure,
while at the same time, presenting a sort of standard in which other
models might be constructed about. If differs fromperson to person,
so this is perhaps, in factthe reason we are at odds, no?

In fact, if my interpretation of your argument about concentrating on one
specialty product is correct, then the logical extension is not that they
should concentrate on System instead of Galidor, but that they should
concentrate on Bionicle over System.

Well, one truth being that Bionicle and Galidor are close, if not
equal on my spectrum, so if lego spent more time on the traditional
kit, they would yield more higher standars sets. Well, you can stick
to your interpretation, if you prefer to divide the spectrum into
multiple parts.

Scary, huh?

You bet.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow Lego enthusiast

"Here I go again, I'll probably be stuck at this keyboard
all night debating a seemingly endless thread of posts which
might not be answered. Somebody get some caffeine!!!"