 General / 38384
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:03:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, a bunch of people write:

We seem to be at odds on everything...

Someone should start a petition to lego to bring back the once
vibrant diversity to its product line. Your voice counts!

Let me know where to sign up

First, if you're talking online petitions, they don't work.  blah
blah blah blah blah blah....

Sounds like charlie brown's teacher, doesn't it?

Perhaps an petition on Lugnet. I don't get this. It seems even if I'm
just the smallest bit vague, people should get what I'm talking about.
Lego *DOES* read the .dearlego column, so a chain of posts and support for
diversified chain of products might turn a few heads. Don't be so
pessimistic about it, sheesh.

Second, since Bionicle is making them so much money, asking them to stop is
like asking oil companies to stop production of gasoline and go back to making
kerosene.  I'll say it again, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.
There are *plenty* of other sets with good parts for pretty much any theme you
want to build.

Maybe so, but I wouldn't compare it to that, since Oil companies are
such a larger industry than ABS molding. I have a feeling that we'll
be seeing Bionicle for quite a while (god forbid), but the notion of
Galidor staying on the shelves disgusts me. Have you seen those
commercials? Everyone knows most kids don't pay attention to that
stuff anyway. In fact, most action figure sales (besides bionicle),
are geared towards either comic book heroes or anime/ RPG characters.
Just go to a comic book shop, stack a Galidor figure on the shelf an watch
what happens. Chances are, It will end up on the back alley or
at your local bargain bin.

I never though I'd say this, being a lego fan so long, but all they've come
out with lately is pure bs.  If you like bionicle (scary) or GALIDOR (even
scarier) than I'm sorry, but what kind of idea was floating through their
heads when they made those?!

You know, that's probably an answer we'll never know, and I
just can't grasp the principle that Lego would bother with the
whole action figure branch, when in fact, they can stick to tradition
and bring us cool models to display on our shelves and rip apart
ro customize. There is little to none in the imagination department
with bionicle, unless you're a modern picasso who likes to make
ostnsibly disgusting models with spare parts. Keep to the bricks,
Lego.

Um, perhaps they wanted to try something new?  Expand into new markets?  Most
companies try to do so, since it is a smart move; if it works, it means
increased revenue.

Yeah, but are you trying to defend Galidor to score some moral points
or something? I mean, take a look at it compared to lego sets like
sopwith camel or the red baron plane, and ask yourself which you
would rather have. To tell you the truth, concentrating on one specialty
product like model sets will in the end, produce more streamlined and
accurate models. (I mean, look at Guarded Inn, for instance.)

I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful to anyone, but GALIDOR isn't even
made from normal LEGOs!  What good are they?!

I most wholeheartedly agree. :)

That's not really the point.  They're not designed as Lego System toys; they're
action figures.  They do have technic pegs, though, so ARE usable with other
Lego products.  If you don't like them, you're not the target audience.  Let
those that do like them enjoy 'em, I say.

Well, to an extent, I do agree wth Sean on the Galidor issue. Taking
a look into the lego summer catalog, I was appalled to see this
excuse for lego adorning the front page. I even took the liberty to ask
several kids that lived about the block who had purchased galidor (some
of my sisters friends) on whether they liked them or not. Guess what?
The overall response was that galidor sucked, am I surprised? Not really.

"G Gundam is love!" - Sapphire28

?!

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast