 General / 37941
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:43:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Aaron West writes:
Okay, really look at those old Space LEGO sets (which I LOVE!), their design
is WORSE for anything like atmosphere.  Imagine the hell a Starfleet Voyager
would have landing on, say, Hoth??  HOW could a Galaxy Explorer carry enough
fuel to land and take off and manuver with them GIANT thrusters??  Wind
sheer would rip a Deep Freeze Defender to pieces!!  If a Futron, M-Tron or
Blacktron ship is more structurally sound than a Snowspeeder, Imperial
Shuttle, X-Wing or even an A-Wing (speaking of LEGO design) I'll eat my
Harry Potter hat!!!  I am an admitted recovering Star Wars-ohilic, but the
sci-fantasy stuff is deep in my veins and I LOVE to buy the LEGO Star Wars
sets because they are well designed, have great parts, multi-usefull
minifigures, great colors and price points.
Yeah, I think the 1999-2000 line had a lot of useful parts, and great
designs, and I'm not gonna scream about that. In fact, I bought a
snowspeeder and a few packs of speeder bikes just for the parts, but the
newer SW models such as droid escape, well, I don't know about those.

Admiting that product licenses
are not as fun as original designs, we are certainly getting good stuff from
the licenses that LEGO acquired.  Heck, lots better that the "original"
designs from LEGO.  Seems that inspiration is working overtime where it is
allowed at TLC.

Must have taken a while to figure out how to design some of those HP sets.
Granted some of the models being built like they were studio props, I'm not
surprised, but they were good for plates.

If you really want Space back you may have to buy on eBay
or build yourself (like Grand Admiral Muffinhead) from what is available
retail.  You just need inspiriation.

Yeah, I would admit that some of the designs were pretty bad at the time,
but that could have easily been fixed by modification, after all, don't we
sooner or later fix a few flaws in the sets top make them look better. I
completely modified my DFD and it looks completely wicked now.

<SNIP!>

Are you saying that Spyrius and Unitron were the cream of the crop, and had
good stories??  NOBODY can even remember Unitron's storyline (or liked the
sets, considering the losses LEGO took on them).  Spyrius point in life was
to steal rockets, and parts from the other Space themes and sneak around
dark moons!  Whoop-te-doo!!

No, I'm not saying that, I'm just saying that lego tried to integrate some sort
of intelligeable story into the theme so it would make more sense. Yes, I
think they could have taken a re working considering the time, but I don't
think Unitron was the crappiest series ever. Heck, there were a lot of great
transparent blue elements in there, which worked really well with aquazone.

As for spyrius stealing rockets, I would imagine they're some sort of space
pirates. Perhaps space dictators who would want to nuke their targets.

Pirate sets sailed back to TRU last X-Mas and are comeing again to a
store/S@H near you.  Ipmerial Guards/Soldiers however appear to have gone AWOL.

I did see a few of the pirates sets, but the only ones available at my local
TRU were the Islanders remakes.

As for Castle, they seem to peacefully be teaching the magical arts to
students at Hogwarts nowadays, with the ocasional knight coming to visit.
Have a look around Brickshelf and you will see some AMAZING Castle creations
with nothing but parts accumulated in the lasxt 5 years releases.

You serious...I just couldn't buying about ten hogwarts castles and
building something with that. I guess that's because some people have an
almost unlimitless budget so buying like that is no problem.

No more 3033s (thank the powers I don't have to buy anymore of those now :),
but there's $25.00 Yoda's at Target and all kinds of Red Buckets showing up
at $9.99 and under with better parts selection.

Hmm...maybe so, buy maybe Lego is not concentrating on their retail where I
live. I think larger cities such as Chicago, Las Angeles, Ny and Boston
would get more selection because there is more marketing potential there.
(this is for US selection)

I'll admitt that the retail selection would be better if it was broader, but
bulk accessories would be losers at Wal-Mart (and they run the show).

Really? Has anyone actually tried to market bulk accessories to the
customers through retail. I think it would be more of a success than most
skeptics anticipate. Kids like things that don't just get thrown in their
closet never to see the light of day again except for the occasional garage
sale or gather perpetual dust on their shelves. If extra accessories and
expension kits could be marketed for the HP sets, that would be really great
because that would allow for more imaginable design to go into it. Not only
that, but those kits could snag more potential customers, so I think that
would be great.

(my definition of an expansion kit would be a bunch of bricks, plates, windows,
arches, turrets, walls, foliage, roofing elements and an idea pamphlet,
accompanied by a snazzy dieplay box :)

Well, in their place, I see Bionicle, Jack Stone and Galidor. Aaagh!!!

AAAGH!!!!  Stop scaring us!!

It's the truth.

Yep, I saw that too, and I saw some great parts!!  I cleand house on two
Wal-Marts and a Target.  WHOO-HOOO!!  Keep passin' on the LEGO and buyin'
yer action figures, 'cause I'm a cleanin' up the LEGO behind you!!!  Thanks :)!!

Hey! I don't buy action figures, cause I'm a little old for that, so I would
appreciate it if people would not assume what I buy.

LEGO is an old company, that does things the "smart" way.  They will do what
they must to adapt and survive.  While some things they are doing DO suck,
they have to try to hit that elusive kid nail on the head.  Direct has
special power within and underneath the main company structure.  If Direct
creates enough rumble, the company WILL look to them for answers.  Direct is
fighting a winning battle on kids and AFOL's extra-buck purchases, it has
been spilling into retail (Tantive 4, Yoda, and those new buckets!!!)
Retail is going to get better.  If they don't, then MEGA BLOCKS will win.
Special parts do not rule any but the WOW effect of finding something new
and what to do with it.  You just have to build with an open mind, out of
the box LEGO sets stopped being interesting to me at around 9, now I'm 29
and I buy WAAAYY more LEGO to build my own stuff.  I'd say we'll win, as
long as we buy what we can use where we can get it.

Tantive 4? Hmm...well, It would be good to see more sets, and I really look
forward to next years HP series, but I was wondering why Lego doesn't open
up specialty shops throughout the states or even market their specialty
products inhobby shops? Let me guess here, these could not contend with
other products?
Or it is just unfeasable for them to market in that fashion?

Just wish I could find some yodas at my local TRU. I'm thinking they
have been out of stock for like six months now.

And it's good to hear that this is a winning battle. Maybe I just called
this in the middle of the war...someone had to do it.

The rest of this post is <SNIPPED!!>

Yeah, I guessed.

I'm not trying to do anything here but discuss, any flame will be directed
to the Official LUGNET Flame Chamber.  Thank you, and have a pancake.
:o)
And I'm not doing anything else but replying. Have a good day.

<<_Matt Hein_>>