 General / 37971
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.galidor
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 18:21:54 GMT

Are Galidor figures even made of ABS?  They're made in China, not the usual
LEGO factories.

Who knows, but I'm not going to buy one and find out. Chinese lego? No, this
isn't right at all, I thought all LEGO components were manufactured and shipped
out of denmark. Whatever idiot came up with the idea to make these should be
shipped to china, on permanent leave, banished from lego forever.

But, if they're going to take the megablock approach to cheap production,
by use of chinese manufactures, I'm just hoping they don't take this whole
process to the rest of Lego's product line. (yeah, I know it's scary, that's
why I hate Gaildor)

Would you rather that LEGO has expensive production?  The reason companies
have their product made in China is because there is local expertise there
and the costs and restrictions are much lower.  Your LEGO sets will likely
cost less to you if LEGO does what they can to reduce their own costs.
Manufacturing in Europe is more expensive.

If Galidor manufacturing was moved to China to keep the cost down, why do
these sets still look so expensive?  They're nearly a dollar per piece,
which is much more than European LEGO, and I don't think the prices would
compare well with other action figures either.  I can't imagine how
expensive a European Galidor set would be!