 General / 37966
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 17:07:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Portillo writes:
That's it, I can't take no more of this crap lego is releasing and calling
sets.

Just the point I wanted to get across for themes like LOM, Town Jr sets, and
(hushed tone) Galidor. These don't even deserve to be called lego, and
rightfully so. Where has an *actual* castle or space theme gone?

I cna understand how Galidor might bea little odd from lego, but some Town
Jr. sets, LOM, even Jack Stone has great parts. Lego's idea is not only
build our sets, but knock our socks off by building something great with
*our* parts

Well, they do discontinue product lines a little too quick, and they could
bring in more potential sales if they would have left the ninja line going
for a time. Hell, that was one of the most successful lines I've ever seen
(not to mention it flew off store sheles faster than I could imagine, the
Ninja Knights set being on the top ten list of back orders at my local
Safeway.) Why doesn't lego go into a second production line of Ninja sets,
as I could imagine its success would be unprecedented.

I do agree with you that some products are cut short, while others beat a
dead horse. But if it makes money for Lego, who are we to judge what they
deem as "good" and "bad"? Ninja sets may have been only locally good. In
other parts of the world, they may not have sold anything at all.

I hate fads as much as the next guy, and I learned my lesson when my younger
brother blew over two hundred dollars on Pokemon (god forbid). Yet it seems
as though lego it trying a pre-emptive follow into potential fads by
licensing onto every new series or new concept around. Hell, I wouldn't be
surprised if they made Jimmy Neutron sets (which is a complete rip off of
dexters lab)

People tend to buy more when it's a name they know. People are suckers for
Movie and Mania merchendise. If Lego wants to get on this band wagon to make
money, why not? I happen to like some of the licesnses. Star Wars
revoloutionized the Space Community with new windshields, parts, pieces,
etc. The Harry Potter parts are great too! Even some of the Spiderman parts
are great! Just because they do licensing doesn't mean it's bad.

about untapped product markets such as a Historical Recreations series, in
which you could make models of the Seven Wonders of the world, Famous
european castles, middle eastern palaces or even early 20th century
cityscapes. Better than that, include an extra series of Military origined
sets that could include recreation kits of famous aircraft and naval
carriers. I'm sure, marketed on retail, that these would be hits, no doubt.

Lego has said they won't do war toys, if i remember right. And what fun is a
"Historical Recreation"? Kids want Good guys vs bad guys. Not the Leaning
Tower of Pisa. That is why you will see countless cartoon shows about Buzz
Lightyear vs Emp. Zerg, or Power rangers, or something. Things that aren't
fun don't sell. I can see only the Historical line if they moved from "Toy"
into the "Model" catagory.

As for lego taking discussion, yeah, I think it's great that they get to
meet with the fans and discuss things at brickfest, but they rarely ever
answer the most important questions without some level of mystery or
intrigue involved (which invokes some much further thought into the
subject). Unfortunately, I doubt they will even pay as much as a blink to
this discussion, and that's probably because they are scared or fear
consequence of asking those questions.

In fact they do read LUGNET and see user opinions, recomendations, even MOCs
for the MOC Series. Weather or not they answer any questions is another
thing. If you want to Ask lego a question, please move this covnersation to
the "Dear-lego" group.

Rick Hallman
Member of MichLUG: http://www.michlug.org/
Confederation of Planets: http://www.ozbricks.com/confed/