 General / 38433
Re: Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 17:46:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:

Perhaps you wouldn't, but don't be surprised if some people here don't
believe that.  I've skimmed most of this thread, and it sounds like a broken
record.  Some people whine about what LEGO should do.  Other people counter
them, but are unsuccessful in explaining the logic behind a business's
actions.  Its not because these people don't write good explanations, its
because the whiners don't want to listen to them.  I was being sarcastic on
one level, but if you really think about it I wasn't kidding when I said
this thread belongs in lugnet.dear-lego.waaaaahhhhh or
lugnet.off-topic.baseless-speculation.

Maybe so, I'm going to stop complaining right now, since I'm getting
this feeling that I've ticked a bunch of people off.

I don't really fault you for it, because I used to think exactly how you do.
I'm just as guilty of posts like this, which now I consider impotent
crusades against good business sense.  I came around when a few people
guided me and informed me of the way things are, and now I understand.  I'm
a student, like yourself, with no formal business training.  I had a
one-track mind about the "way LEGO should be" until someone explained to me
the way LEGO is and why.

Hmm...why don't you send me an email or something about this.

Is LEGO that important that you can't wait years for things to change in the
product line?  Last time I checked, there's an incredible range of
functional parts out right now in the System scale lines - and for Castle
fans it really is the golden age, with a mix of classic castles and Harry
Potter to draw parts from.  Even Town/Train and Space fans at least can draw
immense value from those sets, for the Gray and other off color and unique
parts in them.  So, I echo Jon's sentiment - go build and get creative.

No, lego isn't really such a large part or my life, per se. Most of
my free time I spend writing or drawing scenes for my animated story,
which will hopefully grace lugnet someday. But until then, I collect
lego just for fun. I was just beefed on how hard it is to find castle
and space products, that's mainly it.

My take on this whole thread and the 'we need to petition LEGO' idea is
this: impotent whining.  I'm sorry, but that's what it is.  You can't
honestly expect a multi-billion dollar corporation to change the direction
of its product line simply because a handful of people signed an online
petition.

Hmm...just had this feeling it's worth a try, isn't it?

You also can't assume on their market and assert it as truth when you have
not done any solid research of your own.  LEGO spends exorbitant amounts of
money each year to do market research which tells them what products they
should make for which markets.  You and others here come along and attempt
to debunk it with a few sentences (and NO hard data), insist you are right
and insist they bow to your demands.  How silly is that?
Even sillier than that is watching this thread drag on and on and on.  The
ones who talk sense are ignored, because the rabid fans on a blind crusade
don't want to know the truth.

Like a culmination of everything our hideous
pop culture stands for, these people want it their way and only their way,
right away, no questions asked.  And they won't shut up until they get it.

Hey, I said before I was going to stop right here. This is it for
me, end of the line. The only posts I'l make for now on, are suggestions
towards products, comments on mocs, and any formal announcements I might
have when I get my Pov-ray software back up, and some designs on my site.

Notice above: no complaint posts.

As for my personal opinion on the products... I understand the reason for
Jack Stone's existance - its for a younger age market.  I really can't stand
Galidor myself, and I hope it goes away.  If my feelings are proven wrong
though, and Galidor is a success, more power to LEGO for making a smart
move.  For everything else, LEGO is parts.  Don't rely on sets, but look at
what they come with and imagine what you can do with them.  And relax, this
*is* just a toy afterall.

Yes, it is. Maybe I got caught up in the flood of posts, and looking
at other lego fans (who are obviously longer collectors than me),
perhaps I just had this notion to keep countering points to at least
gain experience debating. (you see, I'm writing a novel right now, so
any experiece is good.)

I'm not going to continue the thread "Say it ain't so" seeing
how everyone hates me and all.

See ya,

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast