 Off-Topic / Debate / *16631 (-100)
  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) This is interesting. Let's just assume you are correct for a moment. Two sceneries to consider: 1948 A "Palestinian" family has been living on a plot of land for 3 years. The Israel army happens along and bulldozes the family’s house in their (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

<snip> (...) Israeli armour has been there since they started killing civilians and stealing land in '48. (...) What do you mean "started the whole thing"? Did they invite Israel to kick them of their land in '48? I think not. (...) They are (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) is (...) The (...) That was not really meant against you or your words personally. (which I did realize were not yours anyway.) (...) Already discussed elsewhere in the thread. (...) to (...) The Israeli armour only moved in after 18 months of (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) calling (...) name (...) Ok let me clarify. No one that was living on the land ever called it Palestine or called themselves Palestinians. The current group of 'Arab refugees' have adopted the name I assume to reinforce their 'ancestoral' ties (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) The (...) Is the claim that "Palestine" was made up in '48? I thought that 2500 years ago Heroditus called the land that had been occupied by the Philistines by the name of Palestine. Though I know there are references suggesting that the name (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Name a nation (Was Palestinians)

(...) Perhaps we should call them “'Arab' refugees from the area formally known as Palestine but now known as Israel and the occupied territories”? Or ARFTAFKAPBNKAIATOT for short? ;) Scott A denial: (psychology) an ego defense mechanism that (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) It is not my choice of words. I am referring to the wording of the question... nothing more (see above). However, you are quite wrong. The Balfour declaration (1917) quite clearly referred to the area as “Palestine”. I have no idea when it was (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) There is no (historic) Palestine. There is no such thing as Palestinians. The whole concept was made up during the last 50 years so 'we' could stop calling them Arab refugees. (...) Wouldn't it be cool if your "ordinary Palestinians" actually (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) Not quite, 51.5% think the aim is to liberate all (historic) Palestinian. I expect what you believe may well be true, but that stat does not show that. (...) Mr/Ms Average (...) Is that a "Yes"? (...) So why did he agree to Oslo? (...) Just an (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is the bravest thing Dan Rather has ever done to admit his own cowardice?

I share your concerns Richard, but is the press not just giving the public what they want? If Mr Rather were to be more critical, would the public just go elsewhere? Is it CBS's aim to maximise profit, or to enlighten the public? Can these two aims (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Is the bravest thing Dan Rather has ever done to admit his own cowardice?

Is the bravest thing Dan Rather has ever done to admit his own cowardice? (this may wrap, cut and paste the whole URL) (URL) (Anchor, CBS Evening News -- on the subject of how much the current climate of extraordinary patriotism is stopping (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

With the high humidity on that little island, I remember most of it gone 10 seconds after getting out of the shower. I'm sure it was filtered to some degree, just not to the drinking water standards. Boy I'd hate to have a jellyfish plop out of the (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Interesting. (...) My bet would be that it goes into the common sewer for treatment before being dumped back into the sea. (...) I agree! I take a shower when I come out of the sea just to get the sea goo off. Chris (22 years ago, 16-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Followup: USA soccer team at the World Cup

(...) I saw the first one replayed during lunch today, and all I can say is that J. Pinto will be lucky if he does not get suspended *for good*. Beto shouldn't be in the field by then, so he is not entirely to blame (the coach should have (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

crunch-o-matic wrote in message ... (...) this (...) Hmmm. What do they do with the used seawater? Does it go through a treatment plant like the fresh water? Same treatment plant or an extra one? Or do they just dump it right back in the sea? I'd (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup? (everyone’s overreacting!)

In response to your comment Richard, Although harsh, I think that it is fair for Tim to be disgusted. Tim approached the situation diplomatically, (even though the intial comment was not intended at him, it still affected him and his website a great (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

Did you know in St. Croix the toilets and showers run on sea water? I think it would be a good idea to have coastal communities like LA and NYC use this method. How much fresh water would that save in a years time? (22 years ago, 15-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Followup: USA soccer team at the World Cup

(...) I didn't watch that game, but I saw clips. Two red cards in one game is inexcusable, though. [...] (...) It was a bit of a mess. We've got some great players (very fast, especially against poland) but they don't seem to synergize. (...) When (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Followup: USA soccer team at the World Cup

(...) I'm not sad because of the defeat, I'm upset because we played below our level AGAIN (that makes it the third time in the last 6 games, the worst of which was against Finland). It's really frustrating to know they could have done better, like (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Followup: USA soccer team at the World Cup

(...) I wish I could say I wish it were otherwise, but I can't. Poland blew us out of the water, and if it wasn't for your red cards, we'd be in your shoes now. But you have my sympathy. (...) I'm very sorry for your loss. I didn't know anything (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Followup: USA soccer team at the World Cup

(...) I wrote this yesterday, and I was full of hope. I, and all the folks who stopped their work today to see this match on the telly. We lost. :-( Never before I had seen so many people struggling to keep tears away from their faces, knowing that (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup? (everyone’s overreacting!)

~O.K. now everyone’s overreacting! Lugnet is looking out for it’s best interests… Lego is looking out for it’s best interest… And I'm sure FBTB is doin’ the same thing too… But before anybody does anything rash lets just take a step back and reflect (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) What do you mean by "all the statistics said was that.."? The conclusion is that over half of the Palestinians want Israel GONE. That seems pretty significant to me. (...) Define "ordinary Palestinians" (...) I'm not going to deny that there (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of our favorite issues!

(...) Absolutely! My perennial bugaboo is the ol' "Creationism in public schools" mantra that's lately mysteriously popular here in the Dark Ages of Western PA. I'd love the Supreme Court to say once and for all "it ain't science and never will be, (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

All the statistics said was that: "51.1 percent said that the aim of the Intifadah is to liberate all Palestinian land (historic Palestine) as opposed to 42.8 percent who said the Intifadah's aim is to end the Israeli occupation." However, only (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of our favorite issues!

(...) Consider also that only your first appeal to a higher court is a matter of right, all subsequent appeals must be granted certiorari. That means to reach the Supreme Court you have to have something that the courts are even willing to (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of our favorite issues!

(...) Upon rereading it, I agree. It's a bit more scattershot than I'd initially thought. (...) I suppose that, as a matter of practice, to do otherwise would cause the judiciary to sort of bleed into the legislature. If there is any other way to (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bye, bye Argentina! (was Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup -- everyone shocked!)

(...) Eheheheh... I have some pics that can explain *why* Argentina lost ;-) (I can e-mail them upon request) Anyway, I'm looking forward to watch tomorrow's match between Portugal and South Korea. That will be interesting, to see the group's (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bye, bye Argentina! (was Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup -- everyone shocked!)

Abmisal performance by the Argentinian team!!! Mind you, Italy were lucky to stay in the game courtesy of Ecuador beating Croatia (who beat Italy in an earlier match). Steffan (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of our favorite issues!

(...) I am not a lawyer, Dave!, but I think the answer is no. But that doesn't really mean anything -- not if you understand the Ashwander Doctrine which I have mentioned here in debate previously (see: (URL) The main thing is the court will avoid (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) Not at all. Look at we americans at this very moment -- don't you think our views about Arabs, Muslims, and ? has been at least partially radicalized by several instances of violence over the years including the events of 9-11? The (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) If they could - yes! But, to be honest, I think most resistance is at the high level: Secret Middle East talks in Britain (URL) A (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:GxK3ux.LKv@lugnet.com... (...) me (...) as (...) the (...) the (...) is the (...) I liked the ad: "Get moore freedom, try MSN Internet Access today"... In the middle of the page... So you do not think (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) To sit on while drying your feet after the shower. Also, to avoid the unpleasantness of looking into the toilet. Makes the room seem more civilized. --Bill. (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) My understanding is that body odor comes not from sweat, but from stale sweat. It isn't the sweat itself that stinks, it's the byproducts of the bacteria digesting the sweat. If you shower often the sweat doesn't stay on you long enough to (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

There is a slice-of-life article in the New York Times 6/11 about public restrooms in the subways. There is talk of hazard suits and padlocked doors. It cost too much to repair them constantly, and even more to hire attendants, so now they just try (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) My mother claims a friend of hers caught some sort of viral ailment from breathing in the vapors generated by flushing a toilet in a Kmart restroom. She is so persistent with stories like this that my six year old made it from our house fifty (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Pretty much, but it's considered socially unacceptable to use the two interchangeably. Dave! (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Fair enough. My travels have brought me into contact more with pungent folks than with over-perfumed people, so maybe it's a matter of experience. It's hard to make use of public transport without getting a heady dose of funk. (...) Come on, (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) I thought it was so we could piss all over the top of the bowl and still defecate without sitting in it. ;-) What I think is really bizarre is that we wash our wastes away with purified drinking water. I'd prefer to composte my waste as per (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) I've known some pretty foul smelling people. Sometimes it was because they didn't scrub and sometimes it was because they lathered themselves in some kind of perfume. In either case, if the odor of a person gets in the way of my thoughts, I (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Kevin's right--there's an international conspiracy to drown kids and pets in public restrooms! Dave! (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

richard marchetti wrote in message ... (...) To keep animals and children out of the toilet. Small kids can drown in toilets. (...) ?? In my experience, public restrooms don't have lids and private bathrooms do, which would be logical according to (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Well that's fine, but the whole point is that it isn't about oneself; it's about those around oneself. Whether or not it's valid, the perception of body odor conveys a real impression of personal hygiene, so if someone's funky it doesn't (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) That's simple - they're there to keep the cats from falling in as they spring up onto the sink ;-) Dead serious - our cats' water glasses are on the bathroom sink, and once I forgot to put the lid down, and heard a splash. The cats learned to (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) I wasn't trying to be gentle or otherwise, just stating what I found on the internet about repeat daily showers esp. during winter months. I use to swim a lot, and I am quite sure I was probably showering more than once a day for most of my (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) You gently commented about my multiple showering thing earlier possibly being too much of a good thing. I'm not obsessed with my odor either. I wear deodorant about once a month -- like if I'm going to a wedding or something and I have never (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Ouch! Yeah, that's a bad error -- but then I rarely spell-check my posts. Thanks for the correction! But, I looked up "bathe" and only the intransitive verb allows for the idea of pouring water over something (the example was a wound), "bathe" (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

At the very least, there should be *civil* war in the West Bank. It makes me laugh to hear those such as Mubarak calling for a Palestinian State *now*, as if that reality alone will change *any* future attitudes or behaviors of the Palestinians (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) I shower at least twice a day, once in the morning (no shampoo) and once when I come home (with shampoo). The main reason for the afternoon shower is to get the pollens, animal dander, and other allergens out of my hair and off my skin, so as (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  One of our favorite issues!

(URL) the Supreme Court *ever* interpreted the 2nd to apply expressly to the individual? Dave! (I probably won't get too involved in any debates that ensue regarding this issue, since I have previously demonstrated a somewhat hot temper on the (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Maggie- now *that* made me laugh out loud:-) -John (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Call me irresponsible, I'm with Mr. Rooney. I also fail to see how stepping directly into a tub can be the optimum way to get clean. In the house I lived in as a child in Japan the bathroom consisted of three rooms side by side: the toilet on (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Two good ones in a row.

(...) there. He spends the first bit talking about how great the US is and how we've done all these great things, while blaming certain less free governments. But this ignores our role in creating and supporting those institutions. How dare he? We (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Looks like I may have meant 1991, see other messages in this thread. I must visit a library to verify this though. (...) I thought this part was interesting because I think it is possible to have too much of a good thing. What little (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) What does "pro justice" mean? Chris (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Two good ones in a row.

(...) sometimes produce bad government. Likewise, I'm sure benevolent dictatorships are possible... but are not guaranteed in the long-term ;) We should support democracy, but not accept its results blindly. After all, what moral mandate does a (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:GwzKCL.HHp@lugnet.com... (...) OK, so you can’t back your allegation. (...) No, but I can’t tell the difference between non-terrorist “united-statesman” and a terrorist one either. Do you think everyone (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Could this be it: Title: "Cleanliness has only recently become a virtue" Date: February 1991 Pages: 126-135 Author(s): Jay Stuller Photographer(s)/Illustrator: Arnold Roth (Illustrations) You could probably locate this at your local library. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

Neat topic (...) Cool! What does "a long time ago" mean? I have a complete run of Smithsonians for about seven years and I don't remember it, though I haven't read them all yet. I'd like to read it. (...) It doesnn't sound like it. I shower (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

whoah, Guys.. maybe it's time for a new group. . . ? ;-) -Suz (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

I don't take baths, but mainly because my bathtub doesn't have waterjets ;-) Once I own a house, a whirlpool bathtub will be a necessity, and I'll take them every chance I get. I personally shower every day. I have to, as my hair looks too oily (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Questions on Bathing

Hey Y'all: I have some questions on bathing and I am having difficulty finding any information on the subject. Once, a long time ago, I read an article in Smithsonian magazine that gave both an historical overview of bathing practices around the (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Two good ones in a row.

Hansen can sometimes be a demagogue, and there's certainly stuff in both of these to disagree with, but these are both well worth reading. Why democracies, even ones we disagree with, are better than dictatorships, even ones we are allied with: (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Go Canada! (was Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup -- everyone shocked!)

(...) You didn't bring enough windmill cookies for everyone *again*? Sheesh. LFB (who prefers hockey anyways.) (22 years ago, 8-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Go Argentina! (was Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup -- everyone shocked!)

(...) Better luck next year. Oh, and may I take this opportunity to state that Richard uses obscene gestures the way others might use clay or Sculpy-- with his gesticulations he creates obscenities that border on being art. And he does it (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) This is the best example of yellow skinned people we have to date. Using yellow for just about everyone and an occasional brown or light brown for those that simply can't be depicted as yellow (ie. people of african descent, etc) would be a (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?

(...) --- (...) All good and valid points, but I do understand and sympathies with Suz. Because it really seams as though LD is simply using Lugnet as a marketing forum to test their products and promote their objectives. I may be new, but it didn’t (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Go Canada! (was Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup -- everyone shocked!)

~Go Canada! No, wait… We didn’t even make the World Cup qualifications… Oh never mind! -R (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Go Argentina! (was Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup -- everyone shocked!)

That's right!!! Nyuh! ::making obscene gesture:: -- Hop-Frog (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: WAY WAY O.T. Blockbuster Rant and a call to arms

(...) I'm probably one of about a dozen people on the planet that are amused by those commercials. Initially, I failed to connect the ads to the advertised. Someone had to point out to me that they were for Blockbuster. I'm fascinated by the weird (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup....

(...) Not yet... :-P (...) Not really, no (I speak for me). I feel bad because we played with a team that ought to have spent more time on sick leave - they were *dragging* on the field! We deserved to lose, end of story. (...) :-) We do. It's a (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup....

(...) Well, we played poorly and DESERVED defeat. But I see you have only *two* goals to bragg about, US #3 and #4 (which was the best in the match ;-) (...) You have seen little, then. The match was *null*, and I'm not just saying this 'cause we (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup....

(...) Easy there, champ. There are some Portuguese who read LUGNET and I'm sure they feel badly enough having lost to the lowly Americans. We Americans *don't* take our soccer that seriously, so lighten up, Francis;-) -John (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  USA soccer team at the World Cup....

I know a lot of people in the States could give a flying whatsit and a rolling doughnut about the World Cup (or US soccer in general). But I have only one thing to say after the fantastic USA vs. Portugal game.... EAT IT PORTUGAL!!!!!! : )P USA-3 (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: WAY WAY O.T. Blockbuster Rant and a call to arms

Bad form to respond to self but: Blockbuster issue resolved by Higher Power. No, the manager wasn't hit by a bus (although that would be altogether acceptable), my girlfriend paid the store a visit. There were no problems after that. I expect that (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: WAY WAY O.T. Blockbuster Rant and a call to arms

(...) Although, I only rented from a blockbuster once(1) in my life, I can sympathize with your distrust of this corporate entity. Maybe a better boycott would be because of that egotistical hamster and his bunny friend carl and their antics that (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: WAY WAY O.T. Blockbuster Rant and a call to arms

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kyle Beatty writes: Hi Kyle, I think you sound a bit steamed and should take a bit of time to calm down. If it makes you feel any better though I have been boycotting Blockbuster for years (although for reasons having (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: WAY WAY O.T. Blockbuster Rant and a call to arms

I ran into a problem when two Blockbuster stores basically had the same DVD under two different policies - I'll skip the long explanation of the events and policies beyond I talked with the local area manager and he fixed everything in a gracious (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  WAY WAY O.T. Blockbuster Rant and a call to arms

(Please forgive me for taking up your valuable time, but I feel that my comrades in Lego should know what can go on at a large (overly-large perhaps) and ubiquitous retailer.) Blockbuster claims that I failed to return a DVD. They are in error. (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) I'll never be able to understand what went through LEGO designers' heads when they chose this colour scheme to depict Portugal and Spain: neither team has this gear, nor even similar ones! (...) 10? (wild guess :-) (...) Predominantly, they (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Well, to be fair, right here: (URL) (Spanish, Portuguese) (URL) (Brazilian, Mexican, Argentinian) Even if they don't have a 'fig with Pele's number (which I don't recall off the top of my head), it's clear that these are not predominantly (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Okay, first of all, think "The Simpons"; Sure, people aren't really yellow, yet they have designated three or so colors for different ethicities. Lego should follow suit. Second - as many colors as Lego currently has, I don't think it would (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does Political Correctness Kill?

(...) Hardly. It was an interesting article so I posted a link. (...) Not sure I agree. We have a culture of the media second guessing everything lately... no one wants to be vulnerable in any way. It was evident in the Clinton administration even (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does Political Correctness Kill?

(...) Thanks! I do get a warm fuzzy when you display your innate friendliness that way. :-) (...) Is this your way of claiming those nations score a perfect '10' on the human rights-o-meter? (...) All societies bear some of what I was calling evil. (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does Political Correctness Kill?

(...) So basically you're the off-topic troll, eh Lar? =) I can't agree that our govt. is suffering from an excess of political correctness and that this is preventing people from doing their jobs -- that's just foolishness. The James Woods story (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does Political Correctness Kill?

(...) Mostly the latter. But since you asked, I think there's something to what he says while at the same time agreeing with most if not all of your dissection. Not a very well formed opinion, I admit. (22 years ago, 2-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does Political Correctness Kill?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes: <big snip> (...) Speaking of flakey, since we were, indeed, speaking of flakey writers... Too much evil? In the UK? In Germany today? Okay then... I know that Israel has a little skirmish (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does Political Correctness Kill?

(...) political correctness and fair treatment are significant. It seems that Mr. Steyn thinks that because various federal agencies dropped the ball, we should hassle all Saudis. I don't buy it. For the same reason that I'm offended by blacks (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Does Political Correctness Kill?

(URL) (22 years ago, 2-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tribes (was: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians))

(...) The problem with "tribalism" as it's called is that it tends to be insular--that's the implication of the term. Communitarianism as I understand it needs to owrk on many levels; in that sense it's like a single organization with local chapters (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) Let me interrupt: not to me (or at least not to date). To me it's a grouping of people, possibly linguistic, certainly of shared traditions and values. But I suppose I'm not typical of the American public (Oooooooo, are we back to that United (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Tribes (was: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians))

(...) I'm finding this stuff fascinating. I don't associate any of those things with tribalism, but it seems from the reading you provided that there are at least several people who see this as a problem. I think of tribalism (or at least what _I_ (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)

(...) Yeah, it's part of the problem with the US public's perception of Africa and Africans. "Tribe" tends to imply unchanging, eternal objectness, primitivism, isolation, and unsophistication. "Tribalism" is the term given to the artificial (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) What is this -- a joke?! I, for one, would like to state for the record that Maggie uses foul language as others might use paint or clay -- with her word choices she creates huge, complex obscenities that border on being "art." When her words (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) The Dutch say Sinterklaas comes from Spain. With his little Moor, Zwarte Piet. No, it's probably best if we don't discuss *that* little tradition... best LFB (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, the following was written by Dave! (...) Another angle from the NLS, who heard the story from me in the car and so may have missed several gory details: The folks at Sears should not have gone ahead and changed all four (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) The wear on the struts should be visible. If so, take pictures of the wear, find out what the *documented* OEM tire size for the vehicle is, (assuming this all supports the assertion that you were sold a car with the wrong tires) write the (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

Much depends on their 100 point inspection, guarentees, and coverage. A used car comes with any modifications the previous owner may have made, including ill-choice of tires (caveat emptor). With a dealership, they may or may not be responsible for (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) I've been eyeing that service over at www.bookoflife.com but four grand per year seems a little steep for my current budget. Chris (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact