 Off-Topic / Debate / 16548
Re: Does Political Correctness Kill?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 18:35:23 GMT

Not a very well formed opinion, I admit.

So basically you're the off-topic troll, eh Lar?

=)

Hardly. It was an interesting article so I posted a link.

I can't agree that our govt. is suffering from an excess of political
correctness and that this is preventing people from doing their jobs --
that's just foolishness.

Not sure I agree. We have a culture of the media second guessing everything
lately... no one wants to be vulnerable in any way. It was evident in the
Clinton administration even though they had a relatively friendly media to
deal with... it's even more evident here... the Bushies, being somewhat more
inept at media management and faced with a much more hostile media, really
bring it to the fore.

Also, (this is a hot button only tangentially related) I'm not sure what it
is that caused Secretary Mineta to say "all travelers must be treated the
same" when the airlines suggested that they be allowed to treat frequent
flyers differently. Those flyers (i.e.... me) are the airlines bread and
butter, and where they make all their profit. Why SHOULDN'T we get special
faster lines, and an acknowledgement that we are less likely to be a
security risk? WE pay for Joe Leisure's excursion fare that doesn't even
cover his share of the fuel bill on the flight, so he can by gosh get out of
our way, we have work to do.

But that decision of his sure smells like political correctness to me,
because the howls of outrage from the media that would arise if he
articulated that people who pay more ought to get better service would be
heard from here to Tanzania.

But political correctness, or malfeasance, or stupidity or "play not to
lose"(1) or whatever, much of our government is not being particularly
effective right now, in a number of different areas. No amount of new agency
creation, spin control or marketing studies (2) will address it.

1 - a particularly insidious disease that infects large organizations of all
stripes, not just government agencies, which I see a lot as a consultant...

Decisions are taken so as "not to lose" rather than "to win". No risk
taking, endless committees to investigate every option and consult every
stakeholder no matter how peripherally related, no innovation unless it's
studied to death and most especially, no career limiting activities.
Everyone's just playing to keep their pension safe and not rock the boat.
The cited (and inferred) memos in the op-ed piece were classic examples of
this mentality.

2 - c.f. the recent report that the anti drug ads may actually be
encouraging kids to experiment before they're old enough to understand the
risks.... and a marketing study to see how to make them more effective is
the proposed solution!! How about stopping the war on drugs altogether as a
bad idea?

++Lar