 Off-Topic / Debate / 16544
Re: Does Political Correctness Kill?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 15:51:22 GMT

<big snip>

I happen to think we tollerate too much evil in many of our international
partners.  Saudi Arabia is one.  China, Israel, the UK and Germany are others.
But I think that making it harder to export our values to members of those
cultures is a bad(!) idea.

Security mustn't come at the cost of righteousness.

So did you have an opinion about it Larry, or did you just think it would make
good conversation fodder?

Chris

Speaking of flakey, since we were, indeed, speaking of flakey writers...

Too much evil?  In the UK?  In Germany today?  Okay then...

I know that Israel has a little skirmish going on right now and they are not
looking too good about it, and the Arabs are 'notorious' for being 'evil',
but hey you with the plank in your eye, wanna remove it before you go
calling other countries 'evil'?

The article from Larry's post was an editorial, where the writer gets to go
on, making points as he sees fit.  It wasn't a 'News' article, it was him
blowing off some creative steam, bringing together a variety of points that,
again, imho, deserve looking at with his specific slant.  Sure you can
rearrange the points again to make a completely different point i.e. it was
racist against people who are Jews and/or have been to Israel, but he chose
to go in his direction.

Was his thesis correct?  It doesn't matter--it's an Editorial.

Quoteth

But I think that making it harder to export our values to members of those
cultures is a bad(!) idea.

Oh this is something I've mentioned before, 'If only the rest of the world
believed what we do, there would be no problem...' i.e. our values are
somehow better than theirs, that what we believe is closer to what's right.

Well, I will reiterate *my* personal stance on this--I don't want to pursue
'Life, Liberty and the pursuit of the American dream' thank you very much.
I am quite content being Canadian, and spelling colour properly.

Quotation

Security mustn't come at the cost of righteousness.

Yeah, self righteous ideas that we are somehow better than the rest of the
world.

I'd say that security must not come at the cost of Justice, which is what I
read between the lines of the article.  Forget that they were 'Arabs' on the
plane with James Woods.  Forget that they were 'Arabs' taking the flying
lessons, forget all that stuff.  In your mind put the *race* aside.

Now, connect the dots--4 people were noted on a plane behaving
'suspiciously'.  Some of these people were also taking flying lessons.  The
FBI obviously had all this information.  However, due to Political
Correctness', no one was willing to do something about it.  Now the final
dot--some of these people flew planes into two very big buildings.
Hindsight, mayhaps PC should have been kicked in the heinie and someone
should have stepped up and did something *before* that last dot happened.

Go after the *person*, bring the person to justice.  Don't go after 'racer,
don't fall into the white elephant 'racial profiling'.  Look at the
facts--people were acting suspiciously.  Check their bank accounts, check
their visas, check whatever you have to.  The people who shout racial
discrimination 'cause the majority of your checks are into Arabs is
irrelevant.  People behaving suspiciously get checked out.  Not arrested for
no reason, not harassed, not whatever.  If the RCMP or the police came to my
door and started questioning me, I would answer ot the best of my ability--I
wouldn't jump to the conclusion that me and my race are being singled out.
It's part of living in a Just society.  It's part of Community Responsibility.

It's part of taking care of my neighbour, as well as myself.  I'm noticing
more and more that people who whine about racial discrimination seem to
approach it as 'How does this affect me?  What do I get out of it?' and not
'How does this affect our society, our country?'

We have to look out for one another.  We have to take care of one another.
We have to make sure that our neighbours can sleep safe at night, that they
can work in a safe environment, and that, for the love of all things right,
they don't have to worry about getting blown up.

Anyway, that's it

Dave