 Off-Topic / Fun / 9490
Re: Questions on Bathing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:08:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:

I just couldn't believe that a person with a national influence could have
said something as inane and irresponsible as this Rooney guy did the other
night -- See:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/11/20/60minutes/rooney/main318707.shtml.

The part that annoys is where he says: "If you want to get clean, you don't
sit there soaking in a pool of dirty water for half an hour."

Call me irresponsible, I'm with Mr. Rooney.  I also fail to see how stepping
directly into a tub can be the optimum way to get clean.

In the house I lived in as a child in Japan the bathroom consisted of three
rooms side by side:  the toilet on one side, the sink/vanity room in the
middle, and the bath on the other side.  The entire room containing the bathtub
was tiled so you could get it wet.  You would step in there and take a shower
BEFORE entering the bathtub which was a big tall wooden tub that actually had a
lid to keep the water hot until you got in.  It was considered very poor form
NOT to have cleaned yourself in the shower before entering the tub.  I suspect
part of the reason was because in the olden days people used the same bath
water.  At any rate, the bath was meant more for relaxation AFTER you had
gotten clean than the act of cleaning itself.

Don't get me started on bidets...

If you do I think I'll stop reading OT altogether.

Maggie C.