 Off-Topic / Fun / 9489
Re: Questions on Bathing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:34:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
Cool!  What does "a long time ago" mean?

Looks like I may have meant 1991, see other messages in this thread.  I must
visit a library to verify this though.

I shower virtually every day all winter, missing a day maybe once per month.
During the summer (starting a couple weeks ago) I shower a bit over 1.5 times
per day.
I use a stiff wash-cloth and antibacterial soap every day.

I thought this part was interesting because I think it is possible to have
too much of a good thing.  What little information I was able to locate on
the web suggested that bathing too frequently, especially in winter, can
lead to dry skin issues.  And while I also use antibacterial soap,
especially for my hands, I have heard that this can have a negative impact
on the environment -- but I am no expert on this subject.

It does kind of seem like you expect everyone to have the standards you do.
I'm pretty sure that diligent showering can be enough to get clean.

No, not at all.  I shower most every day and I bath not infrequently.  But I
have spent enough time in sweaty gyms, dance clubs, and other darker corners
of the adult world that I know I have no problem whatever with the unique
odors given off by myself or other human beings.  I mean, we are supposed to
smell a little -- I think it's that whole hormone thing.  I don't object to
people with other more or less fastidious bathing habits.  I don't care if
women do or do not shave under their arms, etc.  To each their own.

I just couldn't believe that a person with a national influence could have
said something as inane and irresponsible as this Rooney guy did the other
night -- See:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/11/20/60minutes/rooney/main318707.shtml.

The part that annoys is where he says: "If you want to get clean, you don't
sit there soaking in a pool of dirty water for half an hour."  In saying so,
he shows that he has no understanding of the purpose of the soaking or what
to do next.  And when one does bother to bath, one wants to get the job done
well.  The routine doesn't have to get as monumentally ritualistic as a
Roman bath -- moving from room to room, using strigils, scented and oiled
sands, and whatnot -- one just has to get truly clean. It is my
understanding that to bath correctly one must soak, scrub a bit, then shower
-- that's my recollection of the "how to" part of the Smithsonian article in
question.

Don't get me started on bidets...

=)

-- Hop-Frog