 Off-Topic / Fun / 9494
Re: Questions on Bathing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:45:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, William R. Ward writes:
It's bathe, not bath.  Bath is a noun.  And I think to most people,
"bathe" means to get clean by whatever means, includin showering.  If
you want to restrict it to only tub baths, then I think you have to
say "take a bath."

Ouch!  Yeah, that's a bad error -- but then I rarely spell-check my posts.
Thanks for the correction!

But, I looked up "bathe" and only the intransitive verb allows for the idea
of pouring water over something (the example was a wound), "bathe" normally
means to immerse something in liquid. So, despite colloquial usage, you'd
still have "bathe" and "shower" as distinctly different activities.  I hear
lots of people say "I'm going to take a shower." But anyway, I use the two
terms pretty loosely myself.

Anyway, if you only shower every three days I would not call you a
super clean freak.  Or even a regular clean freak.

Uh...for the record, I tend to shower every day (but not "always" every
day).  I tend not to shower more than once a day usually, but then I am not
necessarily obsessed about my body odor -- I don't mind enough odor to let
people know I am a human being instead of a roll-on deodorant stick or
bottle of cologne.

<begin rambling on>

FWIW, I think it's interesting that people separate out the idea of doing
something for a health reason (like bathing) from the idea of relaxation,
almost as if to relax was an unnecessary or unworthy activity -- or it may
be that reflexive separation that seems to exist between body and spirit for
most western people.  Imagine the multiplied health benefits of soaking once
a week for your skin AND your spirit.

I have even heard some reports that sleeping well and sufficiently leads to
better skin health (and this is surely a whole other subject) --  I guess I
am merely conceiving of sleep as a kind of extended state of relaxation in
this instance.

And if the question is skin health, I have heard that drinking lots of water
is a great help as well.

<end rambling on>

-- Hop-Frog