 Off-Topic / Fun / 9508
Re: Questions on Bathing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:30:55 GMT

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:
I don't mind enough odor to let
people know I am a human being instead of a roll-on deodorant stick or
bottle of cologne.

FWIW, I think it's interesting that people separate out the idea of doing
something for a health reason (like bathing) from the idea of relaxation,
almost as if to relax was an unnecessary or unworthy activity -- or it may

You gently commented about my multiple showering thing earlier
possibly being too much of a good thing.  I'm not obsessed with my
odor either.  I wear deodorant about once a month -- like if I'm
going to a wedding or something and I have never worn any kind of
perfume aside from that idigenous to my Shampoo and deodorant.  I
prefer the smell of people to perfumes.

My understanding is that body odor comes not from sweat, but from
stale sweat.  It isn't the sweat itself that stinks, it's the
byproducts of the bacteria digesting the sweat.  If you shower often
the sweat doesn't stay on you long enough to stink.

I too hate perfume.  I never use cologne, deodorant, or anti-
perspirant.  (Antiperspirant is considered harmful, because sweating
is something your body needs to do to regulate its temperature, and
they're made of some very nasty chemicals.)

But also, I don't eat meat (except for occasional seafood) and I think
that is a part of it.  Meat eaters have much stinkier sweat, IME.

Also, I take my many showers and soaks as much to feel good as
anything else.  When I spend four hours of back-breaking labor in
the garden, I like to shower the sweat and fatigue away and dip in
the hot tub for a fifteen minute read with a cold beverage.  It
really is mostly for comfort and I think that showering (hot or
cold!) just feels good.

I rarely soak, but a long hot shower can definitely feel glorious.  A
hot tub (chlorine, jets, etc.) is a different matter, which a bathtub
can't compare to.  But I dont use hot tubs very often either.  We had
one at the last house we lived in, but I only ever used it once or
twice.  I suspect that I enjoy a shower as much as Hop-Frog may enjoy
his tub.

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!