 Off-Topic / Fun / 9498
Re: Questions on Bathing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:01:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher L. Weeks writes:

I have never worn any kind of perfume aside from that idigenous to my Shampoo
and deodorant.  I prefer the smell of people to perfumes.

Well that's fine, but the whole point is that it isn't about oneself; it's
about those around oneself.  Whether or not it's valid, the perception of
body odor conveys a real impression of personal hygiene, so if someone's
funky it doesn't really matter (from a social/interactive perspective) if
that person thinks he smells better than [insert deodorant brand here]
smells.  Of course, if you and your associates are comfortable with your
scent (whatever it be), then great for you and your associates!
  I have a very close friend who's said for years "I just don't believe in
deodorant" and he is, to be blunt, aromatic.  I know from first hand
experience that his scent is strong enough to be overpowering even outdoors
at a distance of about fifteen feet (while I was wearing a closed-face steel
helmet!).  That's not a judgment of his personality; he's not a bad person
because of it.  However, it's nonetheless true that his odor is unpleasant,
in much the same way that ammonia or skunk or mildew is unpleasant (ie; not
"objectively" unpleasant, but as a matter of personal (and, in his case,
widespread) opinion).  He's not even unclean, but the impression of personal
filth has almost singlehandedly kept him out of successful romantic
relationships for the 12 years I've known him(1).

Further, I'd suggest that, if you prefer the smell of people over perfumes,
you either associate with unusually fragrant people or you've been exposed
only to unusually foul perfumes!  8^)  But if you were given an unmarked
bottle of "human body scent" and an unmarked bottle of "rose scent" can you
honestly say that you would prefer the former?

     Dave!

(1) According to several of the women with whom he's sought to become
involved, who've said something along the lines of "he's cute, and I'd go
out with him if only he'd bathe once in a while."

FUT: Should this still be in .fun and .debate?