 Off-Topic / Fun / 9487
Re: Questions on Bathing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:16:38 GMT

Neat topic

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:

I have some questions on bathing and I am having difficulty finding any
information on the subject.  Once, a long time ago, I read an article in
Smithsonian magazine that gave both an historical overview of bathing
practices around the world and a practical "how to" on bathing technique.

Cool!  What does "a long time ago" mean?  I have a complete run of Smithsonians
for about seven years and I don't remember it, though I haven't read them all
yet.  I'd like to read it.

While I don't bath absolutely every day, I rarely go more than three days
without at least showering.
[snip]
Am I some kind of super-clean freak?

It doesnn't sound like it.  I shower virtually every day all winter, missing a
day maybe once per month.  During the summer (starting a couple weeks ago) I
shower a bit over 1.5 times per day.  On a busy day working in the garden or on
the house, I might shower thrice.  And we have a hot tub which, while not
technically for hygiene, serves to soak off the nasty gunk.

Part of my full bathing technique includes
periodically (once a week, sometimes only twice a month) soaking for at
least 20 minutes in a tub of warm water so that I may properly slough off
dead skin and oils with mildly abrasives cleansers and/or sponges.  I
usually follow up the bath with a short shower to rinse all the grungy bath
stuff off of my person.

I use a stiff wash-cloth and antibacterial soap every day.

Tonight on the television program "60 Minutes" the final commentator opined
that bathtubs were useless and should be gotten rid of.  I couldn't help but
feel that he was VERY misinformed about the benefits of a bathtub and proper
bathing techniques.

Gosh.  I guess he doesn't like baths.  My current only bathtub is too small for
an adult to use comfortably.  But when we remodel and expand the bathroom, we
will have a luxury bath in place.

Am I crazed?  Do other people REALLY not know why or how to bath?

It does kind of seem like you expect everyone to have the standards you do.
I'm pretty sure that diligent showering can be enough to get clean.

Chris