 Off-Topic / Debate / 16601
Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:46:36 GMT

It seems to me that everyone who supports the Palestinians and peace in the
middle east suffers from a classic case of projection.  Peace, it seems, is the
last thing on these people's minds.

Not at all.  Look at we americans at this very moment -- don't you think our
views about Arabs, Muslims, and ? has been at least partially radicalized by
several instances of violence over the years including the events of 9-11?
The Palestinians and Israelis are no different.  In the face of violence and
the threat of more violence they think to eliminate the cause of the
violence in the form of their perceived enemies.

Look at out cultural myths in the form of the Star Wars movies (sadly).
Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader -- someone that might have been good but
actually turns out to have been fairly bad instead.  The current film tells
us that Anakin views small-scale genocide as a reasonable response to the
torture/murder of one person.  Who does this flawed ultra-anti-hero
represent?  Probably everyone in the world given the right circumstances.

I don't really see this as a helpful observation -- both sides are clearly
fed up with the other side.  Did you think it was otherwise?

-- Hop-Frog