 Off-Topic / Debate / 16631
Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:22:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

There is no (historic) Palestine.  There is no such thing as Palestinians. • The
whole concept was made up during the last 50 years so 'we' could stop • calling
them Arab refugees.

However, you are quite wrong. The Balfour declaration (1917) quite clearly
referred to the area as “Palestine”. I have no idea when it was first called
that, but it is certainly not a post 48’ construct.

Is the claim that "Palestine" was made up in '48?  I thought that 2500 years
ago Heroditus called the land that had been occupied by the Philistines by the
name of Palestine.  Though I know there are references suggesting that the • name
of that land is older.  It hardly seems like a modern creation.

All that said, the 3000 years of history in that area certainly clouds the
genetic waters.  Modern natives of that area are a mix of what used to be many
ethnic groups including Jews, Philistines and many others.  I expect that
there's more ethnic similarity between modern Palestinians and Jews than there
is between either group and their named ancestral progenitors.

Chris

Ok let me clarify.  No one that was living on the land ever called it Palestine
or called themselves Palestinians.  The current group of 'Arab refugees' have
adopted the name I assume to reinforce their 'ancestoral' ties to the land.
Which is odd given that in 1948 most of them had not even been there for more
than 2 or 3 years. (That is why the U.N. redefined the term 'refugee' to
represent anyone who had been living on 'land X' for 2 or more years.)

This is interesting. Let's just assume you are correct for a moment. Two
sceneries to consider:

1948
A "Palestinian" family has been living on a plot of land for 3 years. The
Israel army happens along and bulldozes the family’s house in their usual
manner. Have the family not the right to compensation at the very least?

2002
A "Palestinian" family has been living on a plot of land for 57 years. The
Israel army happens along and bulldozes their house in their usual manner to
build a "settlement" to house economic refugees from Eastern Europe. Have
the family not the right to compensation at the very least?

I read a report the other day that claimed that ~50% of suicide bombers are
from families who were made refugees in '48. ~25% suicide bombers' families
blamed their actions on a specific event perpetrated by the IDF - usually
the killing of a child. I hate the suicide bombings, but I can't help
wondering if Israel is partly to blame for them.

Scott A

-Mike Petrucelli