 Off-Topic / Debate / 16632
Re: Is the bravest thing Dan Rather has ever done to admit his own cowardice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:43:22 GMT

I share your concerns Richard, but is the press not just giving the public
what they want?

Indeed, no -- many of us go elsewhere for news.  If we were getting what we
wanted, we wouldn't do that I suppose.

I used to listen to Spanish language channels, NPR, and read papers like the
Bay Guardian (an SF semi left-wing rag) for news.  Lately I have been
reading the stuff online from BBC and the Guardian.

If Mr Rather were to be more critical, would the public just go elsewhere?

We are going elsewhere. These big $$$ anchor guys' ratings are dropping as
we speak -- Rather's ratings included.

Is it CBS's aim to maximise profit, or to enlighten the public? Can these two aims be incompatible?

Yeah, but what's the alternative?  State owned news channels (including
print and radio) instead of privately owned?  The point is to arrive at news
that truly informs.  I am not sure how to get there from here...

I just thought Rather's words were at least somewhat alarming on a numbers
of grounds.  Further, I thought it was cool that he was able to admit, to
the foreign press, that he is just a kind of news figurehead -- and not
really a proper journalist, at least not anymore if he ever was.

It's a pity that nobody over here seems to care...

...bread and circuses, I guess.  All hail the Ministry of Love.

-- Hop-Frog