 Off-Topic / Debate / 16609
Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:59:16 GMT

All the statistics said was that: "51.1 percent said that the aim of the
Intifadah is to liberate all Palestinian land (historic Palestine) as
opposed to 42.8 percent who said the Intifadah's aim is to end the Israeli
occupation."

What do you mean by "all the statistics said was that.."?  The conclusion is
that over half of the Palestinians want Israel GONE.  That seems pretty
significant to me.

However, only 32.5% think the Intifada can end the occupation alone.

Do you not support the ordinary Palestinians?

Define "ordinary Palestinians"

Peace, it seems, is the
last thing on these people's minds.

That is perhaps how you would wish it. But think back to just after Oslo and
Oslo 2, was there not a real sense of hope after that? But what wrecked
that? Was it the Palestinians or right-wing Israelis?

I'm not going to deny that there are Israelis whose solution to the violence is
to get rid of the Palestinians.  But I am much more confident that Israel can
control her right wing a lot better than the Palestinians are willing to
control their extremists-- their chosen leader *is* one.

The truth is that Israel is only interesting in peace on its terms.

But that's not the WHOLE truth, because the same applies to Arafat.

When
Shamir ended his term as PM this is what he had to say:

"It pains me greatly that in the coming four years I will not be able to
expand the settlements in Judea and Samaria [West Bank] and to complete the
demographic revolution in the Land of Israel. I know that others will now
try to work against this. Without this demographic revolution, there is no
value to the talk about autonomy, because there is a danger that it will be
turned into a Palestinian state. What is this talk about 'political
settlements'? I would have carried on autonomy talks for ten years, and
meanwhile we would have reached half a million people in Judea and Samaria."

In the UK we call that gerrymandering, not peace making.

And look what happened.  He's GONE.  That the beauty of a Democracy.  So why
are we talking about him?

Your blinkered approach to this issue

Blinkered approach?  What about you?  Why are you quoting a PM who has been
gone for 10 years?  Sharon (the *current* PM) has admitted that a Palestinian
state is inevitable.

is what prevents you from
understanding the desperation of the Palestinians,

No, what truly prevents me from understanding their desperation is their
willingness to train their children to target and murder innocent women and
children.

I don't understand that, nor will I ever.  I don't care *how* desperate one is.

and blindly supporting Mr
Sharon. In your last message you claimed that the whole issue can be blamed
on Islamimc extreamism. Closer inspection of the groups conducting suicide
attacks shows that of the 4 groups involved, 2 are actually secular in
nature. Your contribution to this debate so far has been "convenient" web
links

Scott, would you be so kind as to define a "convenient web link"?

and your own very partial, and largly unsubstantiated, opinion.

It is time you saw the light.

:-)

You, my friend, are the one with his head in the sand.  I think you
underestimate anti-semitism in the Arab world-- even in Europe.

And even when Palestine is finally founded, the hatred towards Israel will
continue.

-John