 Off-Topic / Debate / 16613
Re: Followup: USA soccer team at the World Cup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:05:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William R. Ward writes:
"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> writes:
We lost.
:-(

I wish I could say I wish it were otherwise, but I can't.  Poland blew
us out of the water, and if it wasn't for your red cards, we'd be in
your shoes now.  But you have my sympathy.

I'm not sad because of the defeat, I'm upset because we played below our
level AGAIN (that makes it the third time in the last 6 games, the worst of
which was against Finland). It's really frustrating to know they could have
done better, like in the Euro 2000... *sigh!*

As for the red cards... João Pinto must have his ears burning by now, that
foul was UTTERLY stupid and unnecessary at that point. Beto has an excuse,
the coach ought to have replaced him for 2nd half.
I hope the coach quits, and the former one returns - he was fired after a
*brilliant* set of games, go figure...

Never before I had seen so many people struggling to keep tears away from
their faces, knowing that our "golden team" wasted their last chance to ever
achieve something great in football. The dream that we had been building up
in the past decade is no more, turned into harsh disapointment by our own
actions - and that's what makes it more painful and hard to accept.

I'm very sorry for your loss.  I didn't know anything about this
"dream team".  I just knew Portugal was one of the toughest teams to
beat, and that we had somehow managed to do so.

After that game I saw some replays, and all I can say is the American
players seemed more confused to have won than we did... take a look at
Donovan and his grin after having scored (as if he were thinking "these guys
are handing us over the game!")

Oh well. Go USA, Go Korea, Go everyone else. The Game MUST go on, may the
best team win the Cup!

In that case, may the best team be USA!  (Not that I expect they will,
but one can always hope...)

Hey, if they play cool-minded and keep up the good teamwork, they stand fair
chances. They are very young though, and that is a handicap (paradoxally).
But since I have not seen Mexico play yet, I won't risk a bet on either team.

I stayed up until 6am watching that
debacle.

It IS addictive, isn't it?
:-P

I'm just glad Korea won, since we couldn't seem to manage
it.  I'm just glad Poland didn't play like that against Portugal and
Korea, or we'd all be in trouble.

The Poles were surprised by Korea, which is in my view a very strong team
with a fantastic coach. Then they caught us in a rage/pride moment (June
10th was Portugal Day, a defeat would be *unthinkable*). The only real
chance they had was against the younger US players.

The thing that bugs me the most is that the Korean players were not even
after victory today, all they wanted was to "stall". To be honest, they only
scored after they realised we were *not even trying* (Pauleta replaced by J.
Andrade, an attacker out for a defender... the coach is insane!). Because,
let's face it, the Koreans would have *loved* to come second and face Mexico
instead of Italy!!!

Anyway, the whole match is now being subject of close inspection by some 20
million eyes, belonging to some 10 million "couch-coaches" - heads will
roll, definately. The lesson must not be forgotten, in two years we will
host the European Cup and *we must be up to it* by then!!!

Pedro (Must... think... positive!...)