 Off-Topic / Debate / 16605
Re: One of our favorite issues!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:54:37 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/10/scotus.guns.ap/index.html

This was a poorly written article, I think.

  Upon rereading it, I agree.  It's a bit more scattershot than I'd
initially thought.

The main thing is the
court will avoid answering constitutional questions if it can, leaving many
things on the table for future disputes.  The court doesn't answer questions
it is not asked, and they do not write answers broader in scope than is
absolutely necessary.

  I suppose that, as a matter of practice, to do otherwise would cause the
judiciary to sort of bleed into the legislature.

If there is any other way to get rid of a problem,
including just not granting certiorari in some instances, the court will use
that method to dispense with the cases presented to them.  Simple as that.

  Curse them and their "rejected with comment" option!  I wonder if it would
sometimes be useful to know specifically why this or that case was not heard.

     Dave!