 CAD / Development / 7722 (-100)
  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) Take a look at this thread at OpenGL.org: (URL) short summary is that you apparently can't guarantee it will work on all cards, but if you set things up right, you can get it to work on most cards. In addition, it may be that cards that don't (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system

(...) Go for it. :) I was taking the approach of grepping the part files for author names, and boiling the list down from there. Steve (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system

(...) [...] Looks good, short and sensible. (...) Shall I do it? Or do you expect to find time to do it soon? Play well, Jacob (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Part 3650a

Steve, There are several variations of this gear: the height of the teeth and extra support. Technica lists the variations: (URL) and early Lugnet post that mentions the variation: (URL) 24t crown gear Name: 24t crown gear II Note: I consider both (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Part 3650a

Does anyone remember with certainty why part file 3650a.dat was released with the 'a' suffix? The part came out in update 98-10, and hasn't been touched since. There's no 3650.dat or 3650b.dat, as far as I can tell. Steve (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) I haven't tried your plugin, so I can't really comment on the informational lines -- do they have to do with the data/code, or are they an "about the flexible object plugin" type of thing? Information about the data/code (how to use, source (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system

[XFUT: lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw] (...) The current text of the license is: ===...=== LDraw.org Parts Library User License version 0.9, May 3 2001 This library is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) I try to think of the -a as a rotation matrix for the model, whereas the -cc stuff is a manipulation of the view matrix. Unfortunately the LDRAW default -a matrix "squishes" the model as if it were a view matrix. I guess this is because the (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) I was thinking more along the lines of the output of my fexible object Plugin for LDDesignPad. I add some informational comments and credit myself and Fredrik for the code generation. Is this undesired? If so, it can easily be modified to the (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) Not in my DAT files, they shouldn't. Especially not editing stuff. Truly generated code, maybe it's alright. It should always go at the top, where it can be easily deleted. Steve (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) (URL)And always remember to use -J to get the most out of the camera settings. (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) Yes! Awesome. Drawing time seems to be a little slower, I don't have any numbers for that though. But the refresh is ligntning fast. Hmm, the menu seems to be more responsive too. (...) You sure? Lemme go double-check the docs... Oh my. I seem (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) Whoa. That's kinda bizarro. (...) I'd say the rule would be, don't fix invalid lines without the authors permission. ;) (...) I see your point, but I would expect most programs to choke (gracefully ;) on the line without part numbers. (...) (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) I found some model which was (mostly) all 3001.dat, except only the first line gave the part number! All following lines were meant to be the same part (with different location.) I guess the author's viewer tolerates this? So, the rule would (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) What about program extensions that modify the DAT code in some way? Are you suggesting that the author of a plugin shouldn't credit himself in the form of a DAT Comment? -Orion (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) Oops! A quick visit to the L3P site reveals that's the camera position in polar coords relative to the look-at point. I'm not sure how I missed that before. But I like it because it avoids the weird LDRAW coordinate system. So I'm gonna have (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) Yes, we seem to see a lot of this sort of thing these days. 0 ROTATION CENTER 0 0 0 1 "Custom" I'd say leave it out unless it's actually being used. My guess is most of the time it's not. Don (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) does this include "don't add any new lines unless they're intentional"? As in, a program shouldn't add (and forgive me if this is incorrect dat format): 0 edited by dan with DatZap on Tuesday :) Dan (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) I did some work on the other solution, rendering in the background. There's a beta of this here: (URL) -n2 to render each part in the backbuffer, -n4 does the whole model. Also the backbuffer is retained for faster refreshes on window expose (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

I don't have any comments, except to say that I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. And that I'd be very hard-pressed to actually implement some of it. And I didn't completely understand all of your points... (...) Yes! (...) Good idea, (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) I would go for this. If a line is indeed edited, then I would preserve it's indentation, but remove trailing decimal zeros, and possibly clean up other things, like changing "-0" to "0". If the file has any exponential notation, e.g, "2e1", (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) This sounds counter-productive to me. Judging from the official LDraw files, it appears that many of the original files follow these guidelines with respect to indentation: o Comments are not indented o All other lines are indented by one (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: DAT files: Do No Harm

(...) These 2 are the 2 biggest problems I have with MLCAD. For some reason MLCad changes the filename in the NAME comment block to an .ldr extension even if the source file is .dat. As more of a part author than a model builder, this is very (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

Got to play with it some more today, some jumbled notes follow... (...) Ok, I changed this and the effect is like night and day. Thanks! I think I'm using the L3P parser. No parser options given, exe is named ldglite.exe. WHOOPS I'm not, -l3 gives (...) (22 years ago, 22-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  DAT files: Do No Harm

What consideration should an editor program make for unfamiliar content or eccentric style when it loads and saves an LDRAW file with changes? I am implementing the following general ideas in BrickDraw3D, based on various situations in test files. (...) (22 years ago, 21-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Track designer ....

(...) I think you might need to cross post this to the CAD groups if you want Leonardo to see it. If I remember correctly, he's the only one in posession of the sources at this point. Thanks for the reminder, Don (22 years ago, 21-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Handling Stickers Without a Known Number

(...) Hmmmm. Yes I think 100 would be too limiting. But can't see any immediately bad thing about the idea, so I vote yes! ROSCO (22 years ago, 20-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Handling Stickers Without a Known Number

I'd like some feedback on the following. Do you like the idea? Dislike it? I've recieved a request, asking for a part number for a sticker whose original sheet number is not known. If you'll remember, we earlier discussed using the numbers from the (...) (22 years ago, 20-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: New LDRAW renderer for the Mac

(...) Speaking of other systems, I did a quick and dirty port of the sources to check out the speed for myself. It's pretty speedy, but not quite as pretty. :-) Slightly modified sources and a makefile are available here if anyone without a Mac (...) (22 years ago, 20-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev)

  File needing review on Parts Tracker

I just wanted to point out that this file: (URL) holding up the certification of 9 other files. This isn't the most critical or important situation on the PT, but I've had to hold certified files back from the last two updates because of this one (...) (22 years ago, 20-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [Parts Tracker] Working on Update 2002-04

(...) I held 4360.dat back from the 2002-04 update; you can submit your updated file to the tracker. Steve (22 years ago, 19-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) Hey I found a Windows 2000 laptop that exhibits the same symptoms so I did a quick google search for "flickering cursor". It looks like the nasty flickering pointer is a common problem in Windows 2000. Go to the Control Panel/Mouse/Pointer tab (...) (22 years ago, 19-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  LDraw.org Parts Update 2002-04 Now Available

This is a big one. :) This update contains 234 files, including some 93 new parts. You could call it "Revenge of the Minifigs" - 56 of the new parts are various minifig heads, torsos, legs, and accessories. As always, along with the new parts, there (...) (22 years ago, 19-Aug-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev) !!

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) Those are indeed the generic Windows drivers. The Trident web-site says the i-7 only has accelerated 3D drivers for 98 and ME, and the GL_RENDERER string agrees. (...) Generic opengl and it took about 15 seconds to render. Are you using the l3 (...) (22 years ago, 17-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) GL_VERSION = 1.1.0 GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_VENDOR ='Microsoft Corporation' GL_RENDERER ='GDI Generic' GL_RGBA_BITS: (8, 8, 8, 0) GL_DEPTH_BITS = 32 GL_STENCIL_BITS = 8 Buffer Swap Mode = 2 (...) (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) Some of that really sounds like driver problems to me. What does ldglite print out about your opengl drivers? Maybe you're not using the Microsoft Software opengl drivers after all, but rather some brain dead half implemented OEM drivers. Do (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) It seems to be constantly re-drawing the screen when the dialog is active. It's also pegged my CPU utilization at 100%. Hmm, double-clicks don't do anything. Or maybe it's just not polling for mouse clicks fast enough -- it took me 3 or 4 (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) <experiments a bit> I think I may simply have done something wrong. Now that I consiously try to reintroduce the problem I can not figure out how to do it. But it may simply have been that I have edited a sub-file and expected the rendering of (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Wait a minute! How does having a FILE meta-command at the start of the file break the polling feature? That still sounds like a bug. Tell me more. Don (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)

(...) Yeah I've known about the problems with the menu for quite a while now. I refuse to go to a 1.0 release number until I fix that. However since I'm running out of release numbers I've actually started to do something about it. Could you give me (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

--- Dan Boger <dan@peeron.com> wrote: [snip] (...) Um, actually, I released a Vim syntax file a few weeks ago on vim.org; I've just been a little delinquent in its advertising. I was inspired to create one when Jacob posted to .cad asking about (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

It seem that u all want to have ldraw, l3p, and pov-ray in linux and not in dos and win 31 or up but with low requirememts now if u are all ready going to do a linux distro ready for user of ldraw that don't want to fight with linux then I whould (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) or just write a syntax file for vim? I was a hard core emacs fan, but after years and years, I did switch to vi (well vim)... While it might not do *everything* emacs does, it does most everything else, and a lot faster :) Dan (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system

(...) Exactly. (...) Great. > but they won't be included without a final library (...) Yes. We better get around to decide on the license for the library. What was the last version we discussed? And why didn't we just use it? Maybe we should simply (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Just getting LDGLite to react to changes to the file it is showing would be a good start. <careful testing while looking at the LDGLite log> Uhmmm... It seems that it is my habit of having a "FILE" meta-command at the start of all of my files (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Okay, this is a quick and dirty list, just what I've observed or confirmed today: Menu - The right-click menu is very confusing. Why not put this in the menu bar and standard dialog boxes? File browser is confusing, as is file filter. Menu - (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Sure, go ahead and elaborate. I can't fix it if I don't know about it. I did actually try to fix the text update speed at one point. That's a well known problem with the glut library I use. I can't remember why I stopped working on a fix for (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Sure thing, but could you perhaps elaborate just a bit on the meaning of "work properly"? Are you looking for multiple levels of polling like l3lab? Don And by the way, since we're in o-t.geek: vi? blech! At least emacs has the ldraw-mode (...) (22 years ago, 16-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system

(...) I tried to get LeoCAD into Debian last year with the help of a Debian devel but they were too scared of adding the library without a license (there's a long discussion on the Debian-Jr mailing list archives). I even have .deb packages ready (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) I tried it recently, but I am afraid I am too used to writing my models in `vi` to apprecate the interface. Speed-wise it seemed okay. I would rather prefer that you spent some time getting the "polling" feature to work properly. Play well, (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system

(...) And considering that I just got a single bootable CD Linux system, which runs both KDE, Gnome, OpenOffice.org and a bunch of other stuff, it would probably not be difficult to modify this with some LDraw tools added. The big problem - as I see (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: [Parts Tracker] Working on Update 2002-04  [DAT]

(...) Hi Tore, Hi Steve, May be too late to patch "Space Laser-Gun with Side Sight". It has 3 missing edges. Following is a corrected version. Thanks to Tore Eriksson for reworking this part, Thanks to the authors, admins and reviewers for the (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) It finally dawned on me (after a less than subtle yet very helpful IM from someone who shall remain nameless :-) that you're the LDGLite author. :-, I've tried the LEdit mode, and gave up in frustration due to the slow redraw (particularly (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Where does LDraw look for files?

(...) I've updated the faq; I added verbiage to indicate that LDraw stops looking, once it's found a file. I also corrected the search order. Steve (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) So it all boils down to speed? Has anyone actually tried the LEdit mode (besides the Mac folks who currently have no other option)? I'm just wondering how much of a speedup is required. I've used it for small things on my 486 laptop, but that (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

I just tested a POV-RAY scene with my syster's pc the P-75 and it took 35seconds with the dos version of POV-RAY In my P-3 pc takes 2 - 3 seconds with windows XP runing using a command line dos window. About making a boot disk with povray.exe "dos" (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Sorry, didn't mean to be insulting there. :-, What Linux (and to some extent, Windows too) really needs is a semi-fast LEdit clone. I understand that one of the newer tools (LDGlite?) has an LEdit mode, but is kinda slow without hardware (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

(...) Ouch! That really stings! All kidding aside, what exactly would comprise "a handful of decent LDraw tools". Besides a linux l3p executable, what's missing? I'd like some ideas to add to my "to do" list. (...) That's an interesting thought. Is (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

Eduardo, I really like this idea. I have no experience whatsoever with making bootable CDs, but I'm sure someone else here does. Some questions... I assume that all file saving would happen to hard disk or floppy, unless a rewritable medium such as (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  [Parts Tracker] Working on Update 2002-04

FYI, I'm going to be working on update 2002-04 today (and maybe tomorrow). During this time, the Parts Tracker should be shutdown for file submissions and review posting. In the past, there have been bugs in the website-locking mechanism that have (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

Good but is not want I wamt to and second I can't buy hardware so just tell me how to make my boot disk (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

Well, sounds like a plan. There are a few things that you can do to make it easier and maybe faster. I for one would definately network the computers. All you will need is 2 NICs (Network Interface Cards) a hub or switch (preferably a switch) and (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system

As sometime the electricity goes and as I don't have a laptop and even sometimes my brother wants to play games as I have a powerfull PC but I can't just stop my ldraw work or what ever i'm doing for him to play so as we have 3 pc's and I found on (...) (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Where does LDraw look for files?

(...) That's just the way I have interpreted the FAQ. I think that this is what is to be understood from the "in the following order" part. Fredrik (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  (canceled)

  Where does LDraw look for files?

Found in LDraw FAQ: (...) That's perfectly clear, but still I have to ask: What if a file exists in two or more of these folders? Will it say: "Hey I found in 'The current folder'! Now I don't have to look anymore."? Or will it keep scanning and (...) (22 years ago, 13-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Math problem

Hi, I've been having headaches for over two nights now trying to figure something out for my animation program. I have made it possible to change the rotation point of an model. This works fine but I want it to be possible to change the point during (...) (22 years ago, 10-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: When Did Tiles Get Their Groove?

(...) I have heard reliable reports of recently opened MISB sets from 1973 and 1976 without and with grooves, respectively. I think that narrows down the time frame for the addition of the groove (to nongrille tiles). It would be good to narrow it (...) (22 years ago, 9-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Correcting the winding shouldn't be too bad -- if the L3 code is available (ie, look in the ldglite source code) -- check how Lars detects bad winding, and how he figured the (more) correct winding. Steve (22 years ago, 9-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [Parts Tracker] Minifig Patterns Updated somewhat

(...) "(URL) with "Fright Knight 2" (i.e., this minifig: "(URL) (22 years ago, 9-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Or I could say that the first polygon in a part must be wound correctly and then proceed from there. (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  [Parts Tracker] Minifig Patterns Updated somewhat

FYI, I've done some more work on the minifig pattern reference pages, which are at: (URL). The basic changes are: - Created Rock Raiders page, assigning codes to all the RR crew. And moved the Jet torso from 973pxx to 973paj. - Cleaned up Star Wars (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Also, once you know the direction for one (or more) polygons, any polygons that share an edge can have their direction determined. If polygon #1 has wrapping ABCD, and polygon #2 has vertices ABEF, then polygon #2's wrapping will involve a (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam....away.com> skrev i meddelandet news:H0I44E.2vE@lugnet.com... (...) An idea: Drawing with a software Z-buffer it's trivial to note _which_ polygons are the finally visible ones (at every pixel). Those are on the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: MPD spec

(...) I'd like to weigh in on this issue. I like using the .ldr extension for everything. I also like being able to refer to another MPD file (with the .ldr extension) from within an MPD file. I also like being able to call the the first subfile the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) This is all going into the keywords search info, so stunningly technical is probably more than I'll deliver on. :) Steve (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: MPD spec

I think I am going to load referenced subparts only and use the first one of recursive mpd files, ignoring the rest for now for LD4DModeler's MPD support. Roland. (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Oops, I guess you caught me. I knew about that one but I'm too lazy to implement it. Isn't that the method used by MLCAD? (...) Yeah, probably. Seems like only yesterday I was all excited about some code snippet of his that I found on the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

Portals. It's not backface culling, it's testing all polygons for visibility using possible rays through the openings, or from the sides of a bounding box. This is no longer culling based on front/back but true visibility that is computed once at (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) OK, but if the quads and triangles don't form a single closed surface, or actually a bunch of closed surfaces, then the algorithm won't work. However, like I said, if you find something that works, post the code or the algorithm and you'll be (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Yes but I'm not parsing primitive subfiles in my plugin, just quads and triangles. -Orion (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) I love searching lugnet for neat old stuff... (URL) can't remember if any working code ever came out of this 3 year old thread, but this *is* a nifty sounding algorithm. If I were working on that plugin, I'd probably go back and read the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) I wouldn't bother. This well known algorithm is based on an assumption that simply isn't true for the parts files. The assumption is that there is one single enclosed space inside of each part. But I think the studs are open at one end and are (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  numbers report - 7 August 2002

Stats for Unofficial Files 213 certified files. 222 files need admin review. 160 files need more votes. 241 have uncertified subfiles. 133 held files. 969 files total. For comparison: 2002-08-07 - 213 / 222 / 160 / 241 / 133 (969) 2002-07-16 - 131 / (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Beginner's tutorial to programming LDraw utilities (Delphi Edition)

(...) Thanks! (...) There are lots of free resources for Delphi newbies on the net + a very good context sensitive online help. The description you requested is only a keystroke away (for those who have Delphi installed.) The Delphi help system is (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Thanks for the info, but it's easier written than applied. It'll take an entire revamp of my code. -Orion (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

Error: read: Count how many *other* polygons this line segment intersects. for Count how many polygons this line segment intersects. Or, if counting your own polygon, switch even and odd. (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

The simple algorithm: Project a normal from any vertex of the polygon to some point far beyond the object. Count how many polygons this line segment intersects. If odd, the normal was pointing in, if even, the normal was pointing out. This assumes (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Tell me about it. (...) I think have the math right for determining polygon winding. The problem is this, how do can I traverse the polygonal faces of a convex or concave polyhedron(a part) and know that I'm looking at said polygon from the (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Updating other persons parts?

I for one would welcome someone to fix my poor attempt at my parts :). Wouldn't hurt my pride at all. (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) By the way--are you going to make it to Pennsic this year, you crazy medieval geek?!? Dave! (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) Very good! :) (...) That's all we ask. It doesn't have to be complete -- if there's no good term for brown, then we don't have any data to add for it. Brown is brown. (...) If you could email them to me in bunches, that'd be great. Steve (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) Ok. I'll work on building the proper heraldric terms for the various blazons in use. I'll bug my wife, and see if she can give me some of the terminology for some of the clothing indicated on the torso patterns (although most of those, I (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) Well, heraldry terms and technical names for objects are always good. I'm looking for any words that people might reasonably use to search for a part. You can check the patterned parts on these pages: (URL) you click the link on each (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) Yup, exactly right. If you want to get *stunningly* technical, "real" heraldry omits any punctuation at all(1), but I find it a real pain to read that way. thanks, James 1:technically "Or, A Lion Salient Azure" should be "Or a lion salient (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) Gold. :) Almost all of the heraldric terms come from old French. Salient is derived old French for leaping or jumping; Or is old (and current) french for gold. (...) Will do. Is there specific info you're looking for, or should I just shout if (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) So this part (URL) be "Or, A lion Salient Azure"? Steve (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) Or = gold Dave! (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact