 CAD / Development / 7636
Re: Beginner's tutorial to programming LDraw utilities (Delphi Edition)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:35:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:

I'm planning to make a tutorial on the subject mentioned above.
There is a lot of code that could be recycled and a lot of wheels that
shouldn't be reinvented all the time by new programmers.

Very good idea. :)

Thanks!

Please LMKWYT

Very nice.  You might want to include a short description of what
IniFile.ReadString does, especially the third parameter.

There are lots of free resources for Delphi newbies on the net + a very good
context sensitive online help. The description you requested is only a
keystroke away (for those who have Delphi installed.)

The Delphi help system is fantastic when you want to know for example what
ReadString does, but you can search for hours if you want to know the names
of the functions that you access ini-files with... Another quite fresh
example is the DecimalSeparator variable. I couldn't find it when I didn't
know what word to look for, but now I know thanks to Gary Williams and/or
Anders Isaksson.

I wish to focus on the difficulties LDraw related programming presents. I
will likely point to some good generic Delphi programming resources in the
coming foreword.

For myself, I'd rather include a bozo-value (like '%%NOTFOUND%%' or '')
as the default value for ReadString, so I can do other checking (or ask
the user to set a location).

Yes, you're absolutely right. I even had it there, but removed it when I saw
a harmlesss but annoying bug that I wish to exterminate before publishing
that piece of code.

In general, some comments about what's going (ie, what is ldraw.ini?)
might be good.  It would all be redundant information, but that's the
way it goes with tutorials. :)

Steve

More comments will come.

Thanks for the input,