 CAD / Development / 7722
Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:12:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Speaking of lines, when I use -W20 the ends of each line segment is capped
by a square which is the same color as the line but 2 or 3 times as wide.
The net result is that pieces with many line segments (curves for example)
have a very "spiky" look.  Is there any way to smooth these out?

I've uploaded a sample to my server: http://www.sproat.us/l3glite-test.png

My l3glite command line:  l3glite -v640,480 -u6400,4800 -i1 -fh -W20 -q -l3
-s13 -o-500,1500 -z-1000 -a1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1 model.dat

I'm not sure what I can do about that.  Opengl only does flat ended wide
lines, so I draw the endpoints at what should be the appropriate width
to smooth them out.  Apparently your driver draws the points as squares
instead of circles.  I wonder if this is a common problem.  Probably,
since you're using the generic driver...

Take a look at this thread at OpenGL.org:

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/006926.html

The short summary is that you apparently can't guarantee it will work on all
cards, but if you set things up right, you can get it to work on most cards.
In addition, it may be that cards that don't work are due to buggy drivers.

There is a post by Niftybitz near the bottom that gives the proper setup
code for round points.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)