 CAD / Development / 7733
Re: Ldglite bug report (Was: Portable Ldraw system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:08:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
So I decided to get off my duff and see if I could contribute more than just
testing efforts, and installed MINGW32 v1.1 and the GLUT headers/libs, etc.
and set about to build ldglite for myself.

I think it's missing a source file, glfont.c .

Hmmm, how'd that get in the makefile?  Did you grab the latest makefile
out of CVS or something like that?  Anyhow, you don't really need it and
can remove it from the makefile.  I think USE_GLFONT is commented out in
the source files.  I've been experimenting with that because of the slow
text display in the glut library, but haven't really decided on it.  I'd
like to look at the text routines in the freeglut library and see if
they're faster.  Meanwhile, if you want, you can do a google search for
Brad Fish's glfont library to get the missing glfont.c file.

Also, I'm assuming that for PNG support, all I need to do is build and
install the standard libpng, right?

I think so.  I supply a prebuilt zlib and libpng for windows in the
source distribution zip file.  I can't remember if I built them myself
or maybe grabbed them from the gimp for windows binaries.  They certainly
don't have the latest security patches, but who cares if you're running
Windows.

I've also done some research into the libsdl angle; it seems that its opengl
layer is actually built on top of mesa, so I don't currently think there'd
be much benefit to go the libsdl route.

There's a lot of stuff out there that might work, but so far glut has
worked out to be the most portable.  I ought to spend some time moving
the glut specific code into separate source files to make this sort of
thing easier, but I'm too lazy.  Better keep a barf bag handy if you
look at the code in main.c...

If you want other ideas, you can browse the toolkit FAQ on opengl.org.
Of course, I've already been there myself and haven't found anything
that could do everything I want with no work on my part.  Imagine!

Have Fun,

Don