 CAD / Development / 7666
Re: Yet another idea - Portable Ldraw system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:33:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
What Linux (and to some extent, Windows too) really needs is a semi-fast
LEdit clone.  I understand that one of the newer tools (LDGlite?) has an
LEdit mode, but is kinda slow without hardware acceleration.

So it all boils down to speed?  Has anyone actually tried the LEdit
mode (besides the Mac folks who currently have no other option)?
I'm just wondering how much of a speedup is required.  I've used it
for small things on my 486 laptop, but that was under win95.  I've
never tested the linux version on a PC that slow.

I'm not thinking so much about a small memory footprint, but more along the
lines of getting X out of the picture.  I imagine the goal is to keep such a
distro as simple as possible.  Eliminate X, and you've saved yourself 90% of
your configuration (and memory) woes.  I don't know if Allegro or SDL are
shared libs, but they ARE cross-platform, and on Linux they can use the
video framebuffer (or at least Allegro can, not sure about SDL).

This sounds like the approach taken by the XMame on CD project.  If
only there were a project like this that supported OpenGL, or does
Mesa3D compile on SDL or SVGAlib?

Don